Thread: Acid reflux help?

Acid reflux help?

Hi all,

I'm struggling a lot with acid reflux at the moment and was wondering if anyone could help. I am planning on getting a drs appointment, but the next ones aren't for a month and I'm away for 2 weeks then so it'll be 6 weeks before I can speak to them.

I've been taking esomaprazole which does make it go away, but it also made me constipated and feel a bit dizzy so don't want to keep taking it.

My anxiety has been quite bad this year after a minor operation which my HA struggled with (unrelated to acid reflux), then a stressful situation where I was stuck on a road in an avalanche and I've been travelling a lot and don't think my nervous system has had much chance to relax. Presuming this could be the underlying cause?

I'm trying to manage it with diet, and while I'm fine with cutting out fried foods and booze I unfortunately like spicy food, coffee and chocolate a lot!

Does anyone know if smoothies can cause it? I thought yesterday was quite a good eating day but did have a banana, pineapple, raspberry and peanut butter smoothie and got it last night. I also had a stir fry with Thai green curry paste (but no onions, garlic or chilli).

Currently I've cut out spice, got coffee down to 2 cups per day (with oat milk) and just have a small piece of chocolate after dinner.

Would anyone recommend any foods that are GOOD for acid reflux? Or any other tips? I'm trying to eat a bit earlier but not always possible, and trying to be a bit more mindful of chewing more and eating slowly.

Anything I could maybe consume after dinner? I've seen apple cider vinegar be mentioned before? I've also tried chewing fennel seeds which does seem to help but not sure if it's ok to do that every day?

Thanks for any help

Re: Acid reflux help?

I've posted this countless times through the years. In addition to a PPI and/or OTC remedies (Tums, Mylanta etc.) if needed, following the FODMAP diet is the way to go. Keep a journal of what foods work for you and what doesn't. Pretty straight forward really.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

And yes, smoothies can absolutely cause it! Fruit is very acidic and it's combined with fruit juice. Disaster for reflux really!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I've posted this countless times through the years. In addition to a PPI and/or OTC remedies (Tums, Mylanta etc.) if needed, following the FODMAP diet is the way to go. Keep a journal of what foods work for you and what doesn't. Pretty straight forward really.

FMP
    Thanks, the issue seems to be at the moment no foods are working for me and was mainly wondering if any food actually treats it! Wasn't aware that FODMAP can be for acid reflux too. Will have a look at cutting some more stuff out

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    And yes, smoothies can absolutely cause it! Fruit is very acidic and it's combined with fruit juice. Disaster for reflux really!
    Thanks yeah no more smoothies for me! I thought because it was banana and peanut based (no fruit juice) it would be ok, but I'm guessing the pineapple didn't help!

Also omeprazole never worked for me, and esomeprazole just made me feel worse! I'm on pantoprazole and that works amazingly!

I’ve been following the acid watchers diet, it can be quite restrictive but basically it cuts out most foods with a ph under 5 as they are so acidic.

Also gaviscon advanced after meals and before bed.

Cutting out tomatoes, mint, caffeine, alcohol, high fat foods, spicy foods, fizzy drinks, citrus fruits. Looking into a diet like acid watchers or dropping acid.

Don’t eat for at least 3 hours before bed, and raise the top of your bed (by using a wedge pillow or blocks) so that you are sleeping on a slight incline. Don’t lay down or bend over after eating.

I hope if you to choose to do these that you start to feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I’ve been following the acid watchers diet, it can be quite restrictive but basically it cuts out most foods with a ph under 5 as they are so acidic.

Also gaviscon advanced after meals and before bed.

Cutting out tomatoes, mint, caffeine, alcohol, high fat foods, spicy foods, fizzy drinks, citrus fruits. Looking into a diet like acid watchers or dropping acid.

Don’t eat for at least 3 hours before bed, and raise the top of your bed (by using a wedge pillow or blocks) so that you are sleeping on a slight incline. Don’t lay down or bend over after eating.

I hope if you to choose to do these that you start to feel better soon.
    Thankyou! Question about the acid watchers diet, I presume you mean the book? Is it possible to follow as a vegetarian?

I've just got a wedge pillow and that should be delivered at the weekend. I'm getting a bit of stomach discomfort this evening too, I'm starting to wonder if its h pylori - if it is I feel like I really need to speak to the doctor in less than a month!

Yes I think you could, there are some good Facebook groups with loads of information.

Definitely worth getting checked out by your gp x

I rang GP again this morning and said I was in quite a lot of discomfort so they scheduled me to speak to the nurse practioner. She thinks it's good to rule h pylori out, annoyingly I can't do the stool sample for 2 weeks because I've taken PPIs recently. Although I am going in for blood tests in an hour. I'm a bit anxious about the blood tests but I know I don't have any symptoms of anything more sinister so trying to relax.

Thread Information