Thread: Afterimages, Palinopsia, worse?

Afterimages, Palinopsia, worse?

Hello all, I'm new here, my name is Simon and am from The Netherlands. If my English is not perfect please forgive me but I hope it's understandable
    I've had Germaphobia since 1983, hyperventilation/panic disorder since December 1987, always dizzy, lightheaded, unstable and the whole list of symptoms one could imagine.

Something new has been occuring the past few weeks which has me in overdrive on Google, trying to become an eye doctor/neurologist....

It started when I looked at a certain light in a flat across my house and when I looked away I saw a whole trail if that same light, a positve afterimage. But after googling I now fear it is Palinopsia or an even worse disease the Latin name I even forget right now. Cerebral .....
    Anyway, my appointment is months away and am freaking out, especially after last night when I was watching History Channel and looked away and the Channel's logo in the left upper corner did the same as that lamp. A trail of the logo was seen for maybe half a second. Also lately I see the tiny white fots when looking into the sky. Blue Entopic Phenomenon or something like that.
    Does all this sound familiar to anyone on this forum? Could it be anxiety, chronic stress related or does this hypochondriac really has a serious ailness this time?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Simon

Re: Afterimages, Palinopsia, worse?

The other disease I couldn't remember was Cerebral Polyopia.

Hello Simon. I experience the same. Also a negative afterimage if I look at something for a long time e.g. a television screen or a clock or sometimes the silhouette of a person I am looking at. I find that that along with the trails, BFEP, static, tinnitus etc are much worse if I am in a state of anxiety. I am not 100% sure but it seems to make sense that in an anxious state we are hyperaware of anything that we perceive to be dangerous to us. And because we now know how to "find" these visual disturbances (what to look for, when they're likely to appear, what do to do prompt them to appear etc) it is easy for us to scan for them when we are in a protective state. But generally speaking I have heard that these visual quirks are normal and happen to everybody, but not everybody gets fixated on them and has this anxiety response attached to them, so they do not notice. The best I can suggest is to try to find ways to take your mind off your vision and to bring down your levels of stress with exercise or meditation or whatever may work for you. It's easier said than done but just remember you are not alone

Late reply but this is good old hypervigilance. I went through a lot of eye things after a migraine and saw it all. We have to remember eyes are not just pains of glass they work in complex ways. When worried about health you can latch onto all kinds of stuff you would usually tune out.

If you can and are due for one have a routine eye test. Maybe pay extra for an OCT scan if that is available in your country. If that's ok trust it and as you stop being so alert to your eyes these things will seem to go away.

Thread Information