I’ve suffered from severe anxiety and depression for many years and found this forum very helpful. I had a relapse which I think was triggered by the illness and death of my father 18 months ago. Along with many other nasty anxiety symptoms which I had experienced before, I began to suffer from neck discomfort with more or less daily headaches, nausea and a feeling of unsteadiness. I began having quite regular neck and upper back massages and eventually those symptoms began to ease. Then I had a health scare about abdominal symptoms and was referred for urgent hospital tests. I was extremely anxious at this time and when I asked my gp for extra help during the the period I was being referred and investigated, he refused saying “we will deal with the anxiety after the tests”. Consequently I was out of my mind with anxiety during the process and was also too bad with nerves and anxiety to go for a massage for weeks. My headaches and other symptoms came back.
Eventually I was able to re-start my visits to the massage therapist about a month ago. I was extremely relaxed after the last one and went for a lie down at home a couple of hours afterwards, which I donÂ’t usually do. I nodded off , but when I woke about an hour later I had a terrifying experience. I could hear my husband and daughter downstairs, but I could not move. I could not speak. I felt like I couldnÂ’t breathe and my chest felt heavy. I think the worst sensations only lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes , but they were horrific. I tried to stand up and managed to slowly get up an go downstairs. I have had extremely severe anxiety symptoms and many anxiety attacks in the past, but nothing quite like this. It has knocked my progress and confidence back severely. It happened 2 days ago and I feel as though I will never be able to get it out of my mind or feel better. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? Any tips?
Sorry this is so long and IÂ’ve been trying not to post about my relapse for months!
Thanks for reading, Ruth