Thread: Hitting my 30s this year and I'm freaking out!

Hitting my 30s this year and I'm freaking out!

I'm gonna be 30 this year and I won't lie. Its getting my anxiety up high! I know that seems way too young to be afraid about it, but the idea that I'm getting older and thus much closer to death is frightening to say the least! How can I feel better about this? Thanks.

Re: Hitting my 30s this year and I'm freaking out!

I found this post interesting in many ways. I do recall hitting my 30's but the fear and anxiety you're experiencing didn't even cross my mind as I felt no different than I did in the preceding years. I also recall hitting my 40's and same thing. I was too busy living life to concern myself. I will admit that getting mail about joining AARP in my later 40's brought on a realization that I'm aging. I became an 'official' senior citizen this year having signed up for Medicare at age 65 and have the card in my wallet to affirm that. I have to say, based on my experience with the health issues I've faced and overcome, I'm thankful for each day I'm here and the thought of dying doesn't scare me or cause me anxiety. My only hope is that when it's my time, it's quick and as painless as it was when I passed after my first heart attack (A 'widow maker' and I was brought back by paddles). Let's be real. Any day, any time could be our last. Enjoy every day you're blessed with and live to 'live' not thinking about the inevitable.

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 10-04-24 at 21:43.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yeah, I don't know, I'll be 51 this summer and I think I remember turning 30.

Perhaps it could be that feeling of missed opportunities during one's late teens and through their 20s, which is traditionally the age period when and where one is generally assumed to be living life to the full, experiencing things for the first time, etc.

But those traditional stereotypes now no longer appear to hold true, as many are now doing a lot of stuff later on (early 30s onwards) such as getting married, having children, having more serious jobs, going on holiday several times a year, etc.

Also remember that on the whole more people are living longer now than ever before, plus many well-respected figures in the entertainment industry are still performing well beyond the age of 65 and some even more popular and successful now than during their original respective career heydays.

My only real caveat personally is that at the age of almost 47, I feel a bit of a sense of 'been there, done that', 'seen it all before', etc, and therefore no longer have the same sense of anticipation, excitement and enthusiasm for many things that I still had even as recently as 10 years ago.

For me personally, the slow death of Christmas actually started 30 years ago at the age of 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Perhaps it could be that feeling of missed opportunities during one's late teens and through their 20s, which is traditionally the age period when and where one is generally assumed to be living life to the full, experiencing things for the first time, etc.

But those traditional stereotypes now no longer appear to hold true, as many are now doing a lot of stuff later on (early 30s onwards) such as getting married, having children, having more serious jobs, going on holiday several times a year, etc.

Also remember that on the whole more people are living longer now than ever before, plus many well-respected figures in the entertainment industry are still performing well beyond the age of 65 and some even more popular and successful now than during their original respective career heydays.

My only real caveat personally is that at the age of almost 47, I feel a bit of a sense of 'been there, done that', 'seen it all before', etc, and therefore no longer have the same sense of anticipation, excitement and enthusiasm for many things that I still had even as recently as 10 years ago.

For me personally, the slow death of Christmas actually started 30 years ago at the age of 17.
    Yeah thats probably it Lenco. Worrying that I haven't done enough in my 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by TaleOn11 View Post
    Yeah thats probably it Lenco. Worrying that I haven't done enough in my 20s.
    Exactly. I think with me it's more a sense of nostalgia harking back to the late 90s when I was in my early 20s with many things seeming far more exciting, carefree, laid-back and generally less restrictive unlike only just a few years later (mid 2000s onwards) where nearly everything started becoming far more serious, and people started becoming more cynical, fearful and increasingly pining for 'less troubled times' in the past, though I personally think a lot of that was very much attributed to the growth of the Internet and 24/7 rolling news media, plus of course general awareness of things greatly increasing, and still very much remains the case right now.

Mind you, I certainly don't recall the decade of the 90s being all 'tickety-boo'; it had its trials and tribulations like pretty much every other decade that came both before and after, and now looking back I perceive the 90s as a greatly overrated decade, of which I often struggled to gel with first-hand myself on occasions, let alone the 2000s, 2010s and the first half of the 2020s so far.

But at least my schooldays are long behind me, of which, for the most part, I absolutely despised.

Thread Information