Thread: Hernia query- anxiety so high today

Hernia query- anxiety so high today

Hi all,

I cancelled my op for my eyes and know I did the right thing! However I woke up so anxious and on way to work said I would pick up some boxes of music magazines for the college I work at.

They were not massive boxes but quite heavy. I have now had a panic attack and could hardly breath as started thinking about hernias. I have already had 2 in the groin repaired but after cancelling the op I managed to chill a bit and now I fear that by lifting them I have made a hernia? There were 6 boxes and I carried 3 to my car. On arrival tot he college I brought 3 in as well. They were heavy but not to the point that I could hardly lift them. Someone else lifted the other 3. Altogether I must have done about 2 minutes max of lifting. I am now in tears and just want to go home. People lift heavy stuff all the time but I am so paranoid as have had 2 before.

Re: Hernia query- anxiety so high today

Not sure what to tell you other than that there's every chance you'll be okay.

I work at a college, too. What do you do there?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Not sure what to tell you other than that there's every chance you'll be okay.

I work at a college, too. What do you do there?
    I work in admin How about you?

My fear is down to a hernia op I had years ago which mentally ruined my life for about a year.

I'm a learning tech, I live in the library and I help with digital queries and course creation.

Hoping this turns out to be nothing, it honestly sounds as though the only real issue is the panic.

Thank you!

I just make myself feel so awful!

Does anyone know if lifting for that long could cause hernias? My colleague was also lifting them but probably lifts all the time (premises) and does not even think twice about hernias.

Not being qualified to give medical advice, all I can offer is a bit of reassurance….my other half has also had two hernia repairs. He lifts stuff all the time and he never gives it a thought. Right this second he’s putting his all into moving an old washing machine…..but then he doesn’t have anxiety so he doesn’t give past hernias the time of day.

We really do torture ourselves.

Ghost…Spillways

Unhappy Re: Hernia query- anxiety so high today

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Not being qualified to give medical advice, all I can offer is a bit of reassurance….my other half has also had two hernia repairs. He lifts stuff all the time and he never gives it a thought. Right this second he’s putting his all into moving an old washing machine…..but then he doesn’t have anxiety so he doesn’t give past hernias the time of day.

We really do torture ourselves.
    Thank you Darksy, we really do torture ourselves :(

Im not that worried about the two I have returning, more about new ones appearing. I cannot feel any issues in the groin where I had them before. I just don;t understand why my brain is doing this! People carry heavy things for a living and do not give hernias a thought. I carried a few boxes of magazines and feel like my world is ending.

Thread Information