Thread: biopsy and scared of results

biopsy and scared of results

Yesterday I went to the dermatologist for a cyst removal... near the cyst I have had a mark on my skin for atleast 10-15 years.. never ever worried about it as I thought it was a birth mark.. well the Physicians Assistant advised me we should do a biopsy on it since we were in the area anyway.................. I was so nervous for the cyst removal but once she mentioned that, I couldn't even think of the cyst. All that was on my mind is SKIN CANCER! She said it would be 2-3 weeks for results. HOW IN THE WORLD am I supposed to function for that long? My anxiety was triggered big time. All yesterday I spent googling and googling and talking myself into believing I have skin cancer and im going to die and not be here for my 4 children.

I have no family history of skin cancer, im 32 and it was not in a location that is ever in sunlight. Anyone have any advice or similar situations? Thanks in advance.

Re: biopsy and scared of results

Skin cancer is very seldom a death sentence. Most of the time it's nothing more than a minor inconvenience. Besides, there's every chance it isn't skin cancer.

If you don't think it changed and hadn't been concerned I think that's the best measure in the end. I can see you're in the US, and I get the impression that a lot of marks get whipped off for checking at dermatologists office there and most turn out to be fine.

I hate waiting for tests results too because I get anxious about being anxious. But I bet it will be quicker and I bet you will be fine. You can tolerate it. It may not be the best week or two of your life but you can, and as Blue Iris said, even if it were a concern it's very treatable.

I was in a similar situation back in 2015 but it was a mole. I went to the dermo about others I was concerned about but they picked up on a huge one on my back that had been there since I was young. They told me it was a precaution and it was the worst 3 weeks having to wait but it came back fine. I know it’s easier said than done but please give google a wide birth, it will only make you feel worse and it isn’t reliable. I’m sure you will be fine given the length of time you’ve had it for.

Thread Information