Thread: MRI clear after U/S showed solid mass, but can't stop spiraling!!!

Unhappy MRI clear after U/S showed solid mass, but can't stop spiraling!!!

Help, my anxiety is out of control! A year ago this spring, an ultrasound showed a 2cm solid mass on my right ovary. I got fast-tracked for an MRI with contrast 3 weeks later, which showed...nothing. Report said ovaries were normal. My obgyn said she had no explanation, but that "at this point, I'm not concerned at all." I was so relieved and reassured that I happily went on with my regular life.

Now a year later worries are creeping in and even though I have no symptoms, I can't help obsessing over the possibility that the MRI missed something, which has now been growing unchecked! Great-grandma, great-great-grandma and great-great-aunt all died of ovarian cancer, albeit at old ages. I'm tempted to reach out to my doctor to request an exam and/or scans...at the same time, I'm afraid to go down that road because it seems they always find something, I spiral into anxious agony, and then it all ends up being for nothing.

Re: MRI clear after U/S showed solid mass, but can't stop spiraling!!!

An MRI is going to be way, way more reliable than an ultrasound, but I understand your concern. I'd think the most likely explanation is that maybe the mass was actually not "solid" but some kind of simple cyst that was gone before the MRI. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask her to do a repeat scan after a year, but I also don't think it's necessary.

Re: MRI clear after U/S showed solid mass, but can't stop spiraling!!!

Hi Marigold83,

I agree with ErinKC.

My thought is that it was an ovarian cyst which resolved on its own. I have a history of ovarian cysts myself that have caused havoc with my periods, my periods being very late to arrive. I had a transvaginal scan many years ago (like an internal ultrasound) as my period had not arrived and I was told that it would arrive soon and was undoubtedly caused by the multiple cysts I had. The ovarian cysts resolved on their own without treatment.

Try if you can not to worry. If you are asymptomatic and have nothing to indicate a problem, all should be ok. x

Thread Information