Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram recall - scared

Mammogram recall - scared

Hi Everyone, It has been a while since I posted on here but I hope everyone is doing ok.

I went for my first mammogram last week. I was asked by the nurse if I had any problems and I told her I had a lump in my right breast that I first noticed during the 2nd UK lockdown. I did not get a GP appointment as it is just so hard to be actually seen by my GP and my depression was raging at the time, plus I have a history of breast cysts so I probably just brushed it off and kept checking it - I'm an ex-nurse and should have known better. The lump comes and goes and rises and falls depending on my menstrual cycle, but is always there. I knew my first mammogram would happen soon as I turned 50 during the pandemic, so I stupidly sat on it. My Mum has also had several breast cysts aspirated.

I told the nurse about the lump and my history of multiple microcysts in my breasts. She told me I should expect to be called back because of the lump.

So today I get a letter from Charing Cross Hospital. As soon as I saw the postal stamp with Charing Cross on the letter, I went into meltdown. Opened the letter and they want me to come on 2nd May for further tests - mammogram, ultrasound, possible biopsy. On reading this I almost passed out and felt the blood draining to my feet.

I can't stop crying. My logical brain is saying 'you expected this' but my anxious brain is saying it's serious.

I am not sure why I am posting as I know I just have to wait and see, but I am absolutey petrified and chastising myself for leaving the lump so long.

Any advice, past experiences would be deeply appreciated. xx

Re: Mammogram recall - scared

Hope all is ok Debs x

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nic. My anxiety is in overdrive, but I am trying to stay positive. I hope you are doing ok Nic. Lots of love xx

If it comes and goes with your cycle I think it’s most likely just a cyst. My mom has one that they aspirated years ago and she’s 74 and she said it still comes and goes. She’s had it looked at many times and it’s just a cyst.

I know how scary it can be! But 80-9O% of callbacks are nothing (you can scroll through this site and see that!). And the changes you’re describing seem more cyclical.

Don’t beat yourself up over this past - you’re getting it looked at now and the good thing is your appt is next week so not too much waiting.

Hope it all goes great!

I had a recall and they found calcifications but they did a biopsy to test them.

All was ok though.

Thanks for love anyway xx

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks so much for all of your kind replies.

It really helps to read them, truly. x
    Last edited by debs71; 30-04-24 at 04:14.

Totally understand where you're at debs71, but the good thing is that you are doing this. The problem comes when you don't get tested.

Just to give you my story, a few years ago I was told I had breast cancer and they ended up (later) telling me it was benign, just a rare benign growth that was unlikely to ever be a problem but gives the same appearance as cancer on the scan. It was an incredibly scary time although I had no wait, they told me on the day. The wait was only to find out what type, but in the process of them trying to do that they found it to be benign.

This is unlikely to be the case with you of course as it was very rare. But telling you this just to help. Even when they are convinced, and this really experienced surgeon was, it can still be benign. As my GP said right at the start, 'lets wait and see what this actually is before jumping to conclusions.' He explained that some breast cancers are almost benign in their behaviour, different types, so breathe and wait.

And of course most things turn out to be benign. I wish you well but totally understand the path you're on right now, it does have a route out, just hang in there x

A few years ago I had a recall from mine, was an awful wait until the appointment. It turned out to be a cyst that was quite deep so I hadn't even felt it. They aspirated it and all was good, but the time between the letter arriving and the appointment was horrible, fortunately it was quite quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post
    Totally understand where you're at debs71, but the good thing is that you are doing this. The problem comes when you don't get tested.

Just to give you my story, a few years ago I was told I had breast cancer and they ended up (later) telling me it was benign, just a rare benign growth that was unlikely to ever be a problem but gives the same appearance as cancer on the scan. It was an incredibly scary time although I had no wait, they told me on the day. The wait was only to find out what type, but in the process of them trying to do that they found it to be benign.

This is unlikely to be the case with you of course as it was very rare. But telling you this just to help. Even when they are convinced, and this really experienced surgeon was, it can still be benign. As my GP said right at the start, 'lets wait and see what this actually is before jumping to conclusions.' He explained that some breast cancers are almost benign in their behaviour, different types, so breathe and wait.

And of course most things turn out to be benign. I wish you well but totally understand the path you're on right now, it does have a route out, just hang in there x
    Thanks so much for your reply, Rosanna.

It really does help to read your experience as it is the not knowing that is killing me right now, so any positive story is helpful x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information