Thread: Back pain getting worse, worried I left it too late

Back pain getting worse, worried I left it too late

I started having mild stiffness and lower back pain around 2017, mildbpain in my back and arm that comes anf goes

Doctor at the time couldn't find anything serious and suggested I drink more water and refer myself to physiotherapy.

Back then I had bad GAD and also depression, also health anxiety where I'd be off to the doctor with multiple symptoms.

I chose to ignore it in the end, brush any back discomfort, numbness or pain as probably something to do with anxiety, depression made me feel so down I just didn't care anymore..

These past 5 years, I noticed more symptoms and getting more painful, my legs feel more tired walking, I get pain in my middle back and flare ups every month.

I do work that consists of moderate to heavy lifting, like dry stone walling on a farm, or with animals, that is enough to trigger a flare up in my back and would last for a week.

When I go on a bus, my lower back becomes stiff when walking and get weird discomfort in my knees.

Driving, I get numbness in my right side of the head, lower back discomfort, sometimes mild pain and numbness on the side of my right foot.
    Though, I'm ok on the passenger seat, and driving a motorcycle or a larger vehicle like a pick up.

Even sitting in the sofa at night hurts my back.

Last Wednesday, I opened a gate, it was too low to the ground, so lifted it up and my back hurt badly, and had become sore since then especially more to the middle.

I went to the surgery on Friday to ask for a referral letter and sent it to the physiotherapy department rather than going through a gp. Nkt sure if that's the best approach.

After reading stuff online I am feeling very anxious, depressed and regretful I didn't go earlier, like 7 years ago, I worry I might have left it too late, that I might end up in hospital with something serious because of it, or in a wheelchair or be stuck with it forever.

The pain and discomfort and stiffness is not to a point where I can't do things,like lift my arm up or wash the dishes, I can walk up a mountain, cycle. It's just there more often in the background, not too painfulI either.
    I can lift heavy things, it just feels uncomfortable if I do it for too long.

Re: Back pain getting worse, worried I left it too late

I think first, we health anxious people tend to beat ourselves up for past decisions. It's not helpful. It's a version of perfectionism I think. Try to let that go.

Seeking advice of a physio first an excellent idea. They are the real experts on this stuff. You don't mention your age but you would be hard pressed to find someone much over 40 that hasn't had back or other musco-skeletal issues and you clearly have a taxing job. The physio can look at all of that for you.

I think these things can always be improved. The body is a kinetic chain so if one bit is out other bits can hurt.

You are doing all you can now by seeing physio. Let us know how you get on. You will be ok. Wheelchair territory is just your anxious mind catastrophizing.

Re: Back pain getting worse, worried I left it too late

Defo worth a trip to a physio or a chiropractor 👍🏼

Remember you can’t change the decisions you made 7 years ago. But you can do something about how it feels now. You sound like a grafter at work, make sure you keep moving too 👍🏼

Thread Information