Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood pressure

Blood pressure

Hi there folks

Haven't been around for a while and generally speaking I'm pleased to say I'm doing quite well, although still on meds and dreading coming off them and still with some anxious moments and thoughts.

A new thing has just started to worry me - in the past I've been known for having slightly low blood pressure and yet at uni the other day when we were exploring some equipment to measure physiological responses to stress, I had my blood pressure taken twice and it was 137/70 and then 126/68. I'm now really worried as I understand these readings are in the 'prehypertension' range.

Do you think this could be related to my suffering anxiety over the last 9 months?? Trouble is, I don't know what lifestyle changes I can make to help as I already brisk walk 30-60 mins per day, don't add salt to my food, don't drink much, and have just dramatically reduced my sugar intake following sudden realisation that I'm heading for type 2 diabetes if I carry on the way I was with tons of sugary snacks! What's more worrying is that my dad has high bp and had a stroke last year - but I'm only 37 and now feel doomed! Anyone got any advice please?

Best wishes
    Jo

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Hi Jo Jo,

From what my GP told me, blood pressure can rise to this level through anxiety. He gave up checking mine at the surgery because every time he read it it was high, but I wasnt getting any other symptoms of high blood pressure.
    He said the thought of having it taken was causing it to shoot up, because I was worried it was going to be high. Could this have happened to you, being as you had your dad in the back of your mind.

Jude

Jo Jo

Hiya - good to see you again.

Those readings are certainly not prehypertension. They are normal/a little low if anything.

I take medication for high blood pressure because the bottom reading was consistenly over 90. They would like it to be 80.

Take a look at this link ...

http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc2500.htm

Jude - unfortunately there are hardly any symptoms of high blood pressure. I never had any. That is why they worry because you would never know yours was high unless it was checked. Low blood pressure can cause dizziness and feeling faint however.

Nicola

Dear Jo Jo

Rest assured yor blood pressure is very plum normal!! I like you have worried very recently about this, only mine is much higher than yours the worst reading being 150/96!! far too high.

I am convinced that the meds I have started on recently (seroxat) are the cause of this , although Nic and bluebottle are not sure. What meds are you on? Likewise I am very fit work out 4 times a week dont smoke or drink, so if I collapse with a stroke god help me.

So take care of yourself you wil be just fine

Love Ruth

Ruth

Everytime I get mine done at the docs it is sky high cos I am worried about it being high so I guess I am more stressed.

I do readings at home and take them in and he is more than happy with them then.

You are doing well with the workouts that will really help you so stick at it!

Nicola

Thanks Nic, Ruth and Jude

I guess I'm a bit worried because in the past my systolic readings have been much lower (nearer 100) and my bp seems to have shot up since I last had it taken 12 months ago. All I can think is that its either my anxiety meds (Prozac) or the contraceptive pill, but I've been on it for nearly 20 years so I'd be surprised if its that.

The only other things I can think of are my general stress leves - I've just started a bit of part time teaching at uni which is pretty scary, especially the thought of marking essays and exams, and the fact my hubby Steve still hasn't found a new job despite being made redundant 7 months ago - we might have to put our house on the market soon and live off the equity which isn't a nice thought!! Having said all that, I don't actually feel that stressed although I keep getting an odd bit of chest ache which seems to go away overnight and comes back during the day and frequent need to go to the loo, which is one of my older symptoms (its worse when I think about it)!!! Hmm, maybe a little stressed then ...

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated as ever!

Love Jo xxx

Hope you sort out your "stressors"; maybe they were subconsciously playing on your mind?

I'm the same - high-ish blood pressure when it's checked. Must be an anxiety thing. High blood pressure can run in families, yes, (it runs in mine) but you can live with it for years and years and years and years (trust me, I know many who have!) and not have it prove too bothersome.

Hope you feel better soon.

Would anyone recommend getting a home bp monitor so that I can check my bp myself? I'm aware that a number of factors may have influenced my last reading such as rushing in to uni only minutes before, stress etc. or is this a big no no for someone with mild health anxiety?!!

Jo xx

i wouldnt have one i think i would be checking it every 10 mins but i think if used sensibly would be ok

fan x

Jo- jo

**I had my blood pressure taken twice and it was 137/70 and then 126/68**

You're looking at the answer. If it had been taken again 5 mins later after a lie down it would have been even less.

Anytime we move around the systolic- top figure increases. It shows the pressure needed to push blood round the body and if we're moving or active then it's harder as there is resistance.
    The diastolic - lower figure shows the pressure in the heart at rest. This is the crucial one and the magic number is 90 so you're well under that and no need to worry at all.

If you do buy one its likely to be a wrist one which shows the pressures at a different part of the arm so the numbers are not directly comparable - besides you are totally fine.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information