Thread: I managed to stop it today

I managed to stop it today

Hiya lovlees

Well...today as i was heading into town to meet my fiance for lunch, i felt that wave of anxiety right before the panic sets in, i was anxious about going allmorning but don't want to let this run my life so made the effort!

Anyway, as it started, i told myself that i was ok, not going to die, and then described to myself that for some reason or another my silly body had released adrenaline which was speeding up my heart breathing and making me feel crap. Then i told myself that the thing i had to do was take a slow breath and relax, and this actually worked! I stopped the panic and the symptoms - person next to me prob thought i was mad talking to myself but hey.

Was just chuffed and had to share it with you. I will keep trying this. So happy
    xxx
    xxx
    xxx
    cassi

Re: I managed to stop it today

Wow well done – remember to give yourself a huge clap on the back.

I am finding now that the anticipation of doing something (travelling to work, going shopping, meeting friends for lunch, doctors, and opticians) is usually actually much worse than when I get there.

I use the “adrenaline overload” theory as well and it seems to work well with me.

whats the adrenaline overload theory? I've not read about that, think it could help me too then.

Yes i fing the anticipation worse too - i was fine when i was in town!

Adrenaline is a stress hormone produced by the adrenal glands. It is released in response to anxiety, exercise or fear, producing what is commonly known as the 'fight or flight' response. It is therefore the adrenaline (and cortisol which increases as your adrenaline levels decrease after the initial rush) which causes most of the symptoms. Your body triggers these excesses if it perceives that there is danger or stress which is why once you have had a panic attack in a particular place your body perceives danger and builds up the symptoms again in readiness. This can lead on to avoidance where people avoid a certain place or situation.

I tell myself that my physical symptoms are just as a result of an adrenaline overload rather than any serious illness. It seems to help me. I still have relapses but I have gone from not being able to get out of bed to going back to work (even though it is a struggle!).

well done x

i also want to say well done!!! and i totally agree with allye - now that im 'sure' of why im feeling what i am it doesnt seem to feel the same anymore, like i dont feel its because im 'odd'. each time i have an episode(it still goes on for weeks at its worst, buti never feel so frightened by it that i dont cope) it isnt as frightening and i still make progress. im so glad that youve been able to make this 'breakthrough' good luck with it all in the future

Well done Cassie hun you go girl. xxx

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

WELL DONE Cassie

You did great showing the anxiety whos boss and how its not going to get the better of you !good on you hun, keep up the good work !

Love

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Thread Information