I have suffered with anxiety, particularly health anxiety, for years, since I was seriously ill 16 years ago and it went undiagnosed for 18 months. There have been a lot of health issues since this time in my family- my daughter had a benign tumour in her mouth which kept recurring, my father died of cancer and my mum is in a nursing home suffering with Parkinson's disease. My anxiety and depression led to my husband having an affair and leaving me after 10 years of marriage. I lost my home and my family as he gained overall custody of our 3 children. I have a lot of contact with them now and we have a wonderful relationship. I have pulled myself out of the s*** and now have a wonderful partner and a job. Unfortunately, my health anxiety is always present and in particular, I worry about my chest and my heart. I am always checking my pulse and breathing.

1 month ago my 16 year old daughter contracted meningitis and was in hospital for a week. She is fine now but my panic attacks became so severe, especially as I went near the hospital in the morning to spend the day with her. I thought they may subside when she came home but then my partner went in to hospital for knee surgery and I became panicked at the thought of having to visit him. This made me feel extremely guilty and sad. I did visit but it was so awful. Luckily he was only in a few days.

I work as a medical secretary and this job, which surprisingly did not affect my health anxiety, has now become to much for me. I have had panic attacks in work and cannot even walk through the door. My doctor has signed me off until after Christmas and I just feel I am sinking deeper and deeper into despair. I have stopped looking after myself properly, barely do anything, struggle to even walk around the corner to the shop and cannot see any relief from this.

My doctor wants me to take medication but I have had years and years on different types and now have a phobia about taking anything at all. I even struggle to take a paracetamol!

I need reassurance and advice about my panics and would love to hear from people who also suffer from them and how they cope.

Sorry this is so long winded!

Thanks.

Jo