Thread: bit worried- please help

bit worried- please help

hi all,
    i'd just like some 'encouragement' from somebody. iv heard many positives from having a aromatherapy massage. seen as though i'm taking the non-medication way of curing myself. i'd like to know has anyone ever been for a massage? i wouldnt feel too comfortable cos iv many scars on my limbs due to a past history of self harm, but i'd like to have a massage. is there an alternative? i'm a bit worried about the practitioner will think and say about the scars

Re: bit worried- please help

Hello sunshine!

Well, I haven't actually had an aromatherapy massage - but I wouldn't have thought the two were that disimilar. Maybe others who have experienced aromatherapy massage will post differently.

The two massages I had were when I was on holiday in Egypt (quite a story - but that's another story lol!) The masseur did use Egyptian oils but I have no idea what they were!

All I know is that I was very apprehensive at first - but once the massage was underway that changed to absolute bliss!

It was very very relaxing and therapeutic. I doubt very much that the masseur or masseuse would be taking any notice of your scar tissue - they would be concentrating too much on what they were doing.

Hope this puts your mind at rest a little bit.

Hi sunshine,

I've never had a massage so can't really offer much advice.
    For what it's worth though I would ask you:-
    "What have you got to lose in trying out what is supposed to be a wonderfully relaxing treatment?"
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

I used to self harm so I have scars and I've had a few aromatherapy massages. I even have my own oils.

I've found them wonderfully relaxing. It's just the cost that prevents me from having them more frequently.

The therapist has never asked about my scars, although they are more faded these days. However, people who go for massages are often people in real need of finding a way to help them relax so the therapist will be well used to treating people with different symptoms. They Certainly wouldn't judge or think anything detrimental about someone with scars. In any case, you could be a vets nurse and been scratched by cats! You have no need to fear what they might think because all the therapist is interested in is helping to treat someone with their symptoms.

I've always enjoyed a good massage and I've found it of great benefit so please don't fear what what a therapist might think because they won't. Often a therapist will have learnt their trade because they are the type of person who has great empathy.

The one oil that I've found worked best on me was Vetivert but it's strong stuff and the smell can be overpowering. It'll knock you out! It won't suit everyone.

The therapist will always talk to you about your problems before agreeing with you which oil or oils to use.

If someone offered me a free massage, I'd jump at the chance!

hi and thanks for replying guys.
    i think iv always feared what others may percieve me as and being in a situation where im trapped at the same time being alone. but iv put in mind that i should fear and do it anyway! i guess ur right chalky, i dont have anything to lose, i'm just too scared of the response, even though it'll be beneficial to me! i also noticed that i still have the symptoms whilst im relaxing or least trying to. when this happens my self-esteem and confidence hit rock bottom again. i really hate it when that happens cos all that effort of trying goes to waste : (

Thread Information