Thread: Its Working for me

Its Working for me

Hi Folks

Just like to introduce myself, I have been loitering around this site for a number of weeks now, i finnally signed up last week, ive visited the chat room and read stories and studied the advice. and what a TREMEDOUS effect its had on me. Ok a little about me, Im 46 year old ,and married to a very understanding Wife. Ive been fortunate to be blessed with this wonderfull panic Disorder for 15 years at least. In fact up untill last year i only panicked on areoplanes,lifts and as a passinger in a car. (Never when im Driving) So i just avoided those situations. However last August i went full time and panicked everwhere, At Home, At Work,In Bed, up to Half a Dozen times a day ,Every Day. These were full blown panic attacks, A feeling of impending doom, wanting to run but nowhere to hide, Heart racing, Gut Churning, Couldnt breath. I think people around me had thought id lost the plot, and so did I. I didnt go to the Doctor because i thought id get put in a mental Hospital. So I did the next best thing and Googled my Symptoms,
    That was the first time i realised what I was dealing with. (Hooray im not Mad).
    Id like to share my progress so far in the hope it will incourage others. The first thing i read was how to stop panics through Distraction and Breathing properly and also realising it was my own thoughts creating the panics. (Spookey but true). Within a few days my panics stopped, Havent had one since. However i had been left with a horrible sensation, a feeling of anticipation pretty much all the time. (Anxiety) Thats when i started CBT
    which is explained on this web site at a level even i can understand.
    I have totally turned myself over to this self help program every waking minute of the day in every thing i do. My feelings of anxiety have been totally abscent for 4 days now. Which is incredible, I only Started it 2 weeks ago.
    Admittedly i havent tried out stepping in a lift or Flyng again yet, thats the next step for me . Im now studying the self Hypnosis page and i just Know itll work.

Stay Possitive
    all the best
    Journeyman

Re: Its Working for me

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

Hi Journeyman,

Welcome to the Forum!

It's great to hear how positive and pro-active you are being.You will get loads of support and advice here.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

hi welcome to the forum wer youl get loads of info and advice and make some lovely friends tc elaine xx

Hi Journeyman and

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm glad to hear how well you're doing.

Take care,

Mike

Hello Journeyman to you!

Glad you're receiving some help already from the site and it's members - I 'loitered' for about 6 mnths before I plucked up the courage to join lol!

Thank you for sharing your progress - it sure will encourage and inspire others. It's great when you find out you're not mad isn't it?

pleased to meet you!

Hi, could i ask what cbt you are using? is it an online programme or self help books.

ju xx

Hi julieb

Im using the infomation that Meg wrote on this site, Cognitive Behavioral Theropy in the firststeps section. I havent yet found a book on cbt, Im not really following a structured program although I did use the linden method to stop my panics, But that only took me so far.
    I would be happy to post what i say to myself when i visit those places of anxiety. which i reinforce even now the anxiety as all but gone. if that would be of interest please let me know.

Best wishes
    journeyman

Hello Journeyman And Welcome To The Site.......i Wish Ya Well......linda

Hi Journeyman and

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

You will meet some lovely people here and get some great support.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information