Thread: Hospital

Hospital

Hi,

To cut a long story short. I suffer from severe bouts of depression and have attempted suicide several times. The last being a close call.

To keep myself safe I am considering asking to go into hospital if / when another bout of depression comes.

I want to know about any peoples experience of psychiatric hospital?

I have never been in before or ever seen one and I hear all sorts of stories. It scares me to imagine, but if it keeps me safe and is tolerable then it might be an option.

Jim

Re: Hospital

i was in one for post natal depression they really help dont be put off , them places are lifesavers every hour of every day

My brother is in one at the moment,and has been in a few times before.They are there to help.
    He was depressed a few weeks ago and suicidel and his doctor had him admitted.He had to go to a hospital quite away from home until a bed became available in this area.
    you dont want to wait for another bout of depression,you need to get help asap.

Thanks,

Yorkylover, Thanks. I am safe at the moment and have lots of help, I still have work I can do to improve my general mental health which will help overall. Also small possibility of a big med change helping that may well risk triggering another rough time tho.

But I'm in a position now where almost all possibilities have been exhausted and I've been told that I will become ill again in future. There is little I can do but 'ride it out' using all my willpower and therapy skills. Which sadly failed me recently.

After my last attempt I have to make sure that I survive. Hospital is the last option to get me through those periods.

Some people have told me horror stories and other people like Swan have good stories. I just want to hear as much information as possible to prepare myself for what to expect. Even if it is hell, if it keeps me alive then I'm prepared to do it.

Jim

My brother has been in a few times,he has bipolar.The hospitals have always been lovely,with caring staff.

Hi Jim
    I was in a physchiatric hospital for 10 days 2 years ago. It was quite frightening at first when some patients were admitted with schitzophrenia but it was amazing to watch them get well and were really nice people.
    I met some lovely amazing people in there, even the cleaners were lovely.
    If you have to go in Jim please don't worry about it as they are only there to help. I met people in there who had been in many many times and always recovered but still relapse unfortunately, I honestly think if I didn't have such a supporting partner and daughter I would probably have been admitted more but luckily for me they get me through my lows. It must be hard Jim living on your own when you feel despair but take all the help the services are offering you to keep you safe.
    love Mags xxxx

Hi Jim

I haven't been in one for myself but I have a friend who has been in 3 times in the last 3 years and been to visit her.

At first it is a little odd. But the staff are lovely and there are usualyy great facilities to keep you occupied. My friend resisted all help at first but once she accepted the assistance and accepted she needed support she said it was great and took the pressure of her to pretend all was ok when in fact it wasn't.

What I am trying to say in a cack-handed way is that I think your attitude is a healthy one and should the need occur to go into hospital then I think you'll have a great attitude to help yourself get better and make use of the support on offer x

Hey Jim

A friend of mine spent a ferw weeks in hospital just before christmas and says it is the best thing she could have done.

Linda xx

Thread Information