Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EXPOSURE THERAPY...

Hi Laura

Seems to have helped you loads, well done on the progess you have made.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Hiya,

Laura well done!!!! you r making good progress!!!

Well I suffer from emetaphobia too and just lately its been playing more on my mind then ever so I decided to see the doctor last night. He was very nice about it and agreed that I probably need some support for this problem. He prescribed me some anti-emetics (which I found quite reassuring!) He told me to go back in a month to see how it's going........ is that the normal way to go about it??? I thought he would have sent me for help with my fear instead of prescribing me tablets???? Perhaps he will refer me when I go back in a month cos I don't think this thing will go away with tablets!!!!! what is the best therapy???????? Can anyone advise????? [?]

Hi guys

Ive had a fear (well anxiety / worry) about ebing sick for the past nearly 6 or 7 years............i would worry that in certain situation sid be sick or feel sick or be sick somewhere embarrasing....i constantly feel sicky ..... although if i look back to when i am sick I can see this is a diferent feeling all together.

Could this be the condition emetaphobia? Ive never heard about it....ive just lived with the feeling for years...ive just seen your post talking about this condition.

Any info / feedback would be appreciated.

Tatty B xx

Tatty B,

I only found out about emetaphobia last Fri!! I have lived with my fear for years (since I was 9 - I'm now 20!) and I find that at it's worst it affects just about every part of my life.......... from constantly checking dates on food (to make sure they're not out of date!) to avoiding alcohol (even though I would LOVE to get drunk!!) avoiding people who may be ill, not eating properly, sometimes even the feeling of absolute dread that I might be sick! etc..... etc......

Maybe you could read up on some emetaphobia web sites and see if you recognise your symptoms??? That's what I did............ It helped alot to know I wasn't alone................. (I thought I was just barking mad!!!!!)

Good luck x x

Hi

thanks a lot...I also am the same with drinking alcohole.........but ive never conected it before....As soon a s i satrt drinkin it...i think im gonna be sick! Im also the same with checking dates on food etc.

Thanks

Im gonna do some research on it now!

[^]

Tatty B xx

Hi,

I'm the same 2. Been phobic of sick for 6/7 years now, I'm 19. It takes over everything, and I panic at the slightest odd feeling.

Has helped finding this website, and have been seeing a counsellor. I'm really bad with food and alcohol. Havent got drunk in ages, 2 scared.

It's great to know its not just me!

Cathie
    xx

I don't suffer from the same phobia as you but from Agoraphobia. Right at the beginning I didn't go out for 18 months or so. Then I met hubby and we started stepping out the front door to begin with ...then to the 1st lamp post...then to the 2nd etc..I suppose this was the same thing as exposure therapy.
    The only thing is that you can't beat yourself up if you can't repeat the thing you done the day b4. Took me along time to stop doing it but wisdom comes with age.
    Keep it up. It's amazing what happens when things start going right for you.

with good wishes

Zena

hi zena your right every thing takes time and you do have blips where you find yourself back at the beginning but keep going forwards works every time

fan x

Hey everyone, had another recent session of exposure therapy, and ive been told im doing really well. i've been eating more meat than usual, things like burgers and sausage rolls and my worrying for getting food poisoning is slowly dying i think, its still there but not as bad. i dont like eating out in restaurants, unless i only eat chips as i know most of my friends and family have had food poisoning from such stuff and at the moment i dont c how i cud ever trust a restaurant and eat different food as i feel i'd just b asking 2 get food poisoning. but my therapist sed i will get there eventually and that she sed she's had food poisoning from eating out but that if she adds all the times she eaten out and the times she's been sick from it (being only one occasion) she sed it was worth enjoying all that food and that i will eventually c the same. i hope so in a way but i still cant c how i'd b happy eating out, not knowing who's cooked my food, whether it was in date, whether it was cooked too quick and not properly, or whether sum1 cooking has a bug and has coughed or something all over the food. these worries still apply 2 me at the mo but hopefully it wil go.
    I can definately feel something changing inside my mind. i still worry but just not as much, and even tho its still the worst thing that cud happen 2 me, i dont feel i'd rather die than b sick anymore. it's so true that by changing ur behavious u change how u feel about it. i mean, everytime i think about being sick, ive been told 2 say 'if it ever happens, i will survive and get over it and move on.' and so it's slowly starting to take affect. i used 2 feel i had 2 keep saying i'd rather die (and i genuinely felt that way and prob still cud if i thought like i used 2) and that by saying it it wud prevent it even more - like an obsession really.
    anywayz, will still keep u posted. that was only my third session of the treatment so i feel ive come a long way after such a short space of time.
    but i seriously believe that if i can do this and i come out better off, then u ALL can do it too, as i've lived with this phobia feeling id rather die than go thru it for over 15yrs of my life, so if im strong enuff 2 take part in the biggest battle anyone wud eva have 2 deal with then u all can too!
    i just keep thinking, if i battle this huge phobia, then all the other phobias in my life (little ones like moths!!) will b a piece of cake.
    no fight in my life will ever be as big as the one with myself, my own inner demons and if i can battle it, then my future will be free from the chains that surround me at the moment and i'll b able 2 get thru anything!

Hope u're all ok!
    Stay positive, we r all in this 2gether, only we kno wot its like living with a phobia so big and only we have the true power to destroy it.
    Laura.
    x

Laura,

Great that you put yourself through this and can see the other side..

Well done

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information