Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low in iron? mineral deficiency?

low in iron? mineral deficiency?

hi all,

i need some help....has anyone on here suffered with any of the above? if so what were your symptoms and was was done to fix the problem? i think i may have one or both of the above....bad diet due to poverty....

just started a job and terrified im gonna lose it...

been feeling unwell, light eye headaches (now all day) and lightheadness....

any ideas?

Re: low in iron? mineral deficiency?

Hi Peach, I have suffered with low iron levels for 10 years or more, i was first diagnosed when having a biopsy for a white lump in my mouth that the dentist had noticed and the ENT surgeon wanted blood tests before the procedure, the tests came back that i was dangerously low in iron and i was given tablets for 6 months at intervals. On the upside i didn't need the biopsy as one of the symptoms of low iron is mouth ulcers and sores that keep coming back. I also had very heavy periods my hair was falling out in handfulls and i was shattered all of the time. I know now what to look for and when i start to feel a bit run down i take iron supplements, i can get them from the doctors but find the tablets give me a really bad stomach so buy liquid from the health shop, it works just as well. I also get bad eye headaches sometimes lasting a week or more but have never linked it to my iron levels, i think it is a hormone thing as it is usually about mid cycle every month. I would pop and see your doctor and get a blood test to check your iron levels but i am not sure if they can check for individual mineral deficiencies. I am sure your work would be understanding if you have a medical problem, and it may even be the stress of settling into a new job that is causing some of the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Hi

I had chronic anaemia last year (due to heavy periods). You can get iron tablets from your doctor or if you get really bad you have to have injections. I agree that the liquid formula is better on your stomach - you can get this from the chemist.

i was really really low in iron after a c section bcoz i lost loads of blood i had to have 2 blood transfusions and iron tablets,i felt breathless and really dizz xx

hi peach
    yeah i too had low iron levels due to my heavy periods
    its symptoms were feeling really tired thinning hair headaches and feeling really light-headed
    i too found that the iron tablets gave me a bad stomach so i now buy a liquid called spatone which someone on the forum recommened.its great and easy to take
    but i,m not sure wether you can get that in australia hun
    you,ll be fine and hope the job goes well

thanks for replying everyone! i also have had lots of mouth ulcers lately, and have a bit of hair falling out but because i have such think hair, havent noticed it thinning (sadly) lol....

i agree with teh blood test, but unfortunalty this is one of my biggest phobias......so big prob. last one i had 2 yrs ago i went into shock, yes,....it was that bad...lol..so not looking foward to it at all......i told doc i will need sedatives to get through it.....hope theyre not strong, cause then ill go into panic attack..yes...im a big baby these days.....

i had a multi vitamin this morn, and noticed a difference.....felt a bit better...

im not so sure its iron now, as im not cold and my blood pressure is perfect...so still guessing for now....

hi!

i sussed it out!!!! lol.....b12~~~~~~ i took a double dose of it yesterday and today and feel 100% better! i looked up symptoms of low vitamin b12 and had nearly all of them...hubby was starting to think i had candida....

so thanks all!!

will keep up the b12 and moniter to make sure im ok....

still gonna go do a blood test, but feel better its not frantically urgent now and can work myself up to do it very soon....

Hey Peach.

Glad you are feeling lots better

See how you go with the B12. If you can psych yourself up for it, a blood test wouldn't be a bad idea.

Just be cautious before taking iron supplements - too much iron can be as bad as too little, so it's important to start it under medical supervision.

xxx

thanks dying swan, sadly symptoms came back next day worse, so went to docs, and now blood test is happening in next day or two. petrified of course, and want to get it over an done with, trying not to think about it and going to take xanax before i go for it. i just wish i had the strengh of others on here......wish me luck...

Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    bad diet due to poverty....
    The best foods are the cheapest, fresh veg&fruit, theres never an excuse for bad diet.
    everyone should take multi vits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information