Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram side effects

Citalopram side effects

I've read on here that the side effects experienced when starting Citalopram is "horendous" - but what do people mean by horendous ?
    Decca.

Re: Citalopram side effects

Best thing is not to read the side affects.Most people dont get any,others get mild side affects.When I started them I felt sicky and very tired.It went off after two weeks.
    I dont read the slip,I let my dad have that and then If I feel anything I ask if its on the slip.

Hi Ellen,
    Yes that's a good idea, but it's just that people on here describe the side effects as "horrendous", just wondering what they actually mean.
    Decca

HI DECCA
    AHH SIDE EFFECT DONT READ LEAFLET MIND WILL DO OVER TIME!!!!

I STARTED 7 JAN, BEST THING I EVER DID, SUFFERED ON AND OFF FOR 18 YEARS, AND NEVER TOOK MEDS, WISH I HAD BEFORE, FIRST WEEK I FELT NOT GOOD BUT TO BE TRUTHFULL MY ANXIETY WAS SO BAD, DONT NO IF IT WAS MEDS OR NOT, BUT EITHER WAY, I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW, HAD NO ANXIETY OR PANIC FOR 5 WEEKS, I STARTED WITH 10MG AND AFTER 2 WEEKS DOC BUT ME UP TO 20MG WHICH SEEMS NORMAL PRACTICE.

I COULD GO INTO ALL SYMPTOMS BUT TO BE TRUTHFULL, YOU BETTER JUST TAKING THEM AND SEEING HOW U GO, EVERYONE DIFFRENT, LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING,SOME NOT TOO GOOD, BUT U NO WITHIN A WEEK YOUR START TO FEEL BETTER.

PM ME IF YOU WANT TO TALK AND IL HELP ALL I CAN, BUT REMEMBER LOOKING AT THREADS, THERES MORE GOOD THAN BAD.

TAKE CARE
    SANDY

Hi Decca

Like the others have side, don't read the side effects as not everyone will experience them. I have been taken 20mg for the past 3 weeks, and I feel alot better. I did have increased anxiety for a while, but at the end of the day, I did not know if I would have had that anyway. Stick with it, and it will get better

Love Clairex

Hi Decca
    I dont know if it was me who used the term horrendous. I've got a feeling it might have been. I was in such a state anyway that it probably wasnt just down to the citalopram but i just felt very on edge and could not relax or concentrate on anything. I felt like i was on the verge of a panic attack alot of the time but never did and haven't had one since i started taking it.
    Its the second time ive taken it and the first time i had NO side effects at all.
    Any side effects are now just a distant memory and were definately worth it. I feel great now.
    Please dont be put off by peoples comments. People only generally feel the need to post about it if they are having side effects and need a bit of moral support.
    Good luck
    Donna x

Thanks everyone,
    It seems that it just makes anxiety worse for a while.
    Did anyone get -
    Fatigue,drowsiness,dry mouth,sweating,trembling,headache,dizziness,sleep problems,cardiac arrhythmias,stomach upsets, suicidal thoughts etc.?

Donna - I was just generalising and used "Horrendous" to describe what some people have said what it's like starting off with Citalopram.

Decca

Hi Decca,

My experience on starting citalopram wasn't too bad and if I'm honest I found it really hard to differenciate between anxiety and possible side effects. I felt quite lethargic and apathetic as well as nauseous with a dry mouth. However when my anxiety is bad I get the last two symptoms anyway!

Take care,

Mike

Hi Decca,

All I'll say is that it made me feel worse for a week or two before it made me feel better.All the side effects were temporary for me,apart from the yawning which I still get now but just ignore it and it passes.
    julie x

i too take citalopram started off at 5mg...worked up to 40 mg wich made me too tired,back to 30mg now and feeling ok,a few side effects suh as grinding teeth and clenching jaw but that too has gone now,yes i had the sicky feeling but that also went,all in all it has been good for me,and fel better now than i have in a long while,so ride the side effects and take one day at a time and you will be fine.x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information