Thread: need to eat

need to eat

Ok here is whats happeneing today, well for the past month. I will only eat food that I feel is safe for me. Mac and cheese is my main staple. I am in fear of an allergic reaction if I start to eat the foods I used to love. I get nervous at the thought of eating food. What if I have a reaction??? I have lost 35 pounds in 3 weeks. Not the best weight loss plan, I know. Does anyone else suffer from this and what do I do? My books tell me to expose myself to the food and nothing will happen, always easier said than done. Anyone have any advice...Please

Re: need to eat

Hello

There are certainly other people on this site who suffer from this phobia.

Is it a fear of allergy or of food poisoning?

What do you mean by Mac?

Unfortunately I think the only way really will be to expose yourself as you said. However, you can do this slowly and gradually.

In the meantime, you can maintain a reasonably balanced diet by only eating a few different things. Cheese is great, but obviously not in huge quantities. For example, baked beans are really nourishing and pretty easy to eat.

Is there any food in particular you are worried about eating? Do you have any existing allergies that you know of?

You'll have to reason with yourself, which I know isn't easy. Just take it slowly but commit to trying new foods (or old one's) as often as you feel able to. If you've not had reactions before, it is unlikely that you will now.

xxx

Thank you for replying so quickly. Mac is shjort for macoroni. It is a fear of an allergic reation. I am only allergic to strawberries. Have been since I was 15. Nothing else that I know of. I am wondering if I do this because it is the only thing I can "control". Who knows. Everyday one symptoms goes and another comes. Oh well, such is life...

Hiya.

Food often becomes a controlling thing in childhood, so you could well be right there.

I am so relieved you mean macaroni! I thought you meant you were living on McDonald's!

It's good that you're eating pasta - try just adding one thing to it, like tomato, chicken, tuna, ham, spinach or mushroom or anything really. Just one thing. You don't need to add much, just a little to help combat the fear.

Good luck

xxx

P.S.

While you are managing only to eat the pasta and cheese, it would be a good idea to take some multivitamin supplements

xxx

Thread Information