Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel guilty/embarrassed about visiting the doctor?

Do you feel guilty/embarrassed about visiting the doctor?

I ask as fellow HA suffers may appreciate my feelings.

I'm at the doctors this afternoon to discuss a couple of things which have been bothering me for a while and already I'm feeling embarrassed about going - purely for the fact that I visit quite a lot . I'm already thinking that when he starts his shift today, he'll checks his patient list and then sees my name and think "oh no, not her again". Even when I'm there and my name is called, I very gingerly open the door to his office - almost as if I shouldn't be there and I'm bothering him

I was only there last month and the visit before was November.

Does anyone have anything to say to me so that I don't feel bad/guilty about going? Also, is it ok to discuss a couple of things? I'm just worried that they will only have time to discuss one thing, I guess I could just talk quickly

Re: Do you feel guilty/embarrassed about visiting the doctor?

Hi Jenny

I feel exactly the same at my doctors. I feel as if I am a burden and feel that he isnt really listening to me because I suffer from anxiety/panic. I end up getting out of the room as soon as possible and apologising and then feel worse than ever as I havent said half the things that I wanted to say and feel guilty for wasting their time.

You are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic1971 View Post
    Hi Jenny

I end up getting out of the room as soon as possible and apologising and then feel worse than ever as I havent said half the things that I wanted to say and feel guilty for wasting their time.
    that's exactly how I feel

jenny plz dont feel embaressed or silly about seeing your doc. do you realy think you are his only patient who has anx/health anx. if you was that would be pretty amazing your doc probley has 50 on his list for all you know. doctors are there for this as much as any other illness and to reasure you.im sure all docs are quite used to ppl with health anx hun its part and parcel of there job. when something is over worrying you and you need reasurance thats what he is there for so go when you feel you need to ok . im sure this is your anx doing your thinking for you and not what your doc thinks at all so plz dont worry about it. it is after al his job and what he gets paid good money for. i hope this has made you feel a little better. take care jenny and pm any time you need to ok .

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx ps i also have health anx.

No, I keep telling myself that it is their job and thet is what they are trained to do and what we pay taxes for. I have always been pretty comfortable with dentists and doctors but maybe I am just lucky as my doc has been my doc since I was born

Please just try and think of it as a chat with someone rather than going to see a medical person

Hello Jenny !
    You shouldn't feel embarassed. Your Doctor will want to help and reasure you - no matter how often you visit. If you've got concerns your GP needs to know about them so that you can get them sorted. Take this opportunity to build an understanding relationship with your GP and explain that you get embarassed and that it is stopping you form getting the help you need. When you've talked this through you will get much more from your consultation and really get ALL your worries off your chest ! I write things down so I don't fluff what I want to say - once I was so nervous I just handed over my list ! It will keep you focused and you won't come away feeling it was a wasted opportunity.

Be kind to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by neptuno View Post
    Hello Jenny !
    once I was so nervous I just handed over my list !
    that's so sweet

Thanks guys. you've all made me feel that I shouldnt be ashamed. I will explain that I've been putting off coming about these 2 things because of my embarrassment - cards of the table eh?

Just want to say Jenny that I definately emphathize with you there.

I have been seeing the Dr alot recently she actually isn't my Dr but I have started seeing her over B/P probs and she has been really understanding. So I have stuck with her so to speak!

Even though she is a really nice woman yet everytime I go like yourself I feel guilty and like I shouldn't be bothering her. Tis difficult hey.

I think alot of anxiety suffererers tend to feel alot of guilt over different things (Even though we have no need to! ) and that just feeds the anxiety!

Just have to practice saying It's my right I should NOT feel guilty there is NO need. Also I think if the worse came to the worst and she thought Oh no not that Pips again! A) You wouldn't know that she was thinking that and B) By the time she was on her next patient they probably would have completely forgotten.

I know it's hard and I still have difficultly in convincing myself. You know what the say though Practice makes Perfect!

Good Luck.

Take Care,
    Love Pip's X X X X

Hi Guys,

Suffering in silence is sooo sommon amongst us!!
    We are not stupid,worthless or undeserving of treatment.
    Never forget we are sick people trying to get well NOT bad people trying to get good.
    We are entitled to be listened to and to be cared for.
    If we don't stand up for ourselves,who will?
    Something your Doctor may learn from treating you,may help him treat countless others in a more positive way.
    Cards on the table is in your interests and his.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Your deffinetly not alone.

I get embarrassed more from the girls behind the counter there, they know me by my first name, which is so embarrasing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information