Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am the only one scared of Doctors/Hospitals etc?

Unhappy I am the only one scared of Doctors/Hospitals etc?

Hi,

This is the first time I have started a post on here but I was just wondering if I am the only one that is scared of going to the Doctors or Hospital? When I read other threads people are saying that they seek reassurance by going to A & E or GP's but I go the other way and am too scared to go.

Obviously I do go to my GP (but only 1 particular 1 who knows me very well lol) but everything to do with hospitals etc terrifies me. Is this a phobia or just part of Health Anxiety?

Thank you for reading

Nikki x

Re: I am the only one scared of Doctors/Hospitals etc?

No you are not the only one!! I have white coat syndrome so get butterflies before going to the docs even for routine things. During my worst attack of health anxiety I didn't even like putting a puzzle piece back in my son's jigsaw ... it was an ambulance which made the sound effect!!! That is pretty sad I know!! I would avert my eyes when passing the road with the doctors on in case it started my palpitations off!! I haven't even told my husband this!!! I think facing your fears often help though, and as someone from the site wisely said to me today, the illnesses in your head are often far, far worse than the actual problem.. so going to the docs to rule out anything serious, scary tho it is is, is probably the best way to reassure yourself

It's the waiting rooms I hate...the impending doom kind of feeling. I would be much better if I could wait in the car and then they could call me in!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. If I see an ambulance my legs go weak and I have even got to the stage where I don't like taking the dog to the vets! How sad am I?

That is what most of my problems are I think. I worry that if I have a panic attack and something happens I will have to go to hospital or doctors etc.

How do I get over it?

Nikki x

Hi

You are def not the only one.
    I have had a thing about hospitals since I can remember.

I have had to go and visit people (my aunt especially as she was in hospital a lot) I was convinced I was gonna get mrsa or something, used to feel sick going but had to and glad I did cos my aunty died last year and if I hadn't forced myself in to see her I would never have forgiven myself.

And as for being a patient.... touch wood I have never had to stay in hospital but I did go in as a day patient a few years ago.
    I was sooo freaked by the place - kicked up a real fuss lol.
    My mum said if I ever have a baby let her know so she can take a holiday and come back when its all over.

Think lots of people hate hospitals and docs and dentists too (I am sure they are nice people - just fear of them I guess )

Claire xxxxxx

I'm not exactly frightened of doctors, hospitals etc my problem is that I feel that they wont believe me even if I had something like a broken leg and that I am being a nuisance and they wont want to look after me. I can't somehow get it into my head that they are normal human beings I was brought up to think they are almost god like.

I know what you mean! These sites are full of people that frequent the doctors as much as they change their underwear! I used to be one of them. Then it suddenly flipped around and now i avoid going like the plague! I dont google symptoms either because i know i will convince myself im that ill! I dont visit the doctor because im scared what he's going to say to be honest. I have definately turned into a 'bury my head in the sand' sort of person, and it sucks!

This fear or phobia is the whole part of my anxiety... I AM TERRIFIED!!!! I never go... last time i had a smear was 16 years ago... even passing my doctors I get palpitations... click on this link to read a part of my blog... this will tell you how scared I am http://rachelhughesdiary.blogspot.co...of-myself.html

I Really wish i could go and get a full MOT but I am sooooo scared of anything medical... and my daughter wants to be a nurse... i said to her the other day... please dont marry a doctor or I ont be able to come to the wedding!!! LOL xxx Its horrid being so irrational and scared over something that is not gonna hurt you.. mine stems from child hood for def!

I am with you on this one.
    I hate doctors and hospitals, i have to be really desperate before i will go, even making the appointment turns me into a nervous wreck. I have lost count of the amount of appointments i have cancelled, cause i could not face going.
    I find the waiting room the worse thing, i feel everyone is looking at me and i get really claustrophobic and just want to run out.
    Maybe if i could go straight in and straight out without the hanging about i would feel better but this never happens, i always have to wait ages which gives me more time to worry and get worked up.
    All the best
    Helen

I'm absolutely terrified of them. In particular, I'm terrified of having my blood pressure taken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information