Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twitching muscles

Twitching muscles

Please can someone help me.

I am a long time sufferer of anxiety and for the most part cope fairly well. However over the last few weeks I have developed new symptoms and thanks to googling(I know!) am now terrified I have Motor Nuerone Disease.

Basically it started with muscle twitching in my thigh. It feels like bubbling under the skin, or like when your eye twitches - a sort of fluttering. Anyway since then I have felt them in my arm, calf, thighs, back and stomach and am really getting scared.

I have told three docs at my surgery and they haven't even wanted to examine me. Simply said it's nothing to worry about. Well I'm sure they are getting worse. When I sit down my leg is vibrating almost and the twitches are even more noticable! When I googled the symptoms I discovered that weakness and twitching is a sign and now I remember dropping things!

Can anyone relate. I know everyone gets twitches in their eye now and then, but to have them all over like this is really upsetting me and I'm worried the docs are dismissing me cause they know I suffer anxiety.

Sorry to ramble

Love Sarah

Re: Twitching muscles

Hey there

I quite often get twitchy muscles, all over as well. The top of my arm, my legs, my lip.

I think it is anxiety based. Not sure why it happens. I think I tense my muscles up alot so maybe its something to do with that.

Just wanted you to know that I get it as well, and I also googled and thought I had Motor Neurone Disease at one point also!
    Hugs
    Emira
    x

I can and will get through this....

Hi Sarah,

Yes I get the same, last night during a bad panic attack I noticed all sorts of twitching everywhere!! At one stage my leg would feel as though it was vibrating like a phone every 5 seconds.

I get odd twitches in my arms, legs, back, face...you name it. I believe that MND shows other sympoms but it you even put in something simple as a headache in google it's going to show you something dramatic, think I to convinced myself I had it at one stage, funny enough it doesn't cross my mind as much but then I am onto worrying about other things so think it's just a phase for me.

try to get a relaxation CD and use it to take some time out at night.

Hope it goes away soon!

I get them too. Normally when I'm at rest, sitting down for ages or legs up on the sofa, then I get funny twitchy feelings - sometimes i can't pinpoint exactly where, just my leg, or thigh. I always look and can't see any physical twitching so it must be inside?? It's normally a flutter that repeats about 6 times....

Yes me too. I get twitching especially in my calves. I notice it more when I'm resting and not so much when I'm busy doing something. That doesn't really make sense though as isn't anxiety suppose to recede when you're relaxing ?
    Anyway, take comfort in the fact that you're not alone.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me.

I suppose I just got myself in a tizwaz again. I just don't understand how you can develop these symptoms out of the blue unless there is something seriously wrong? Last night and whilst at work it was mainly in my thigh, but I also noticed the fluttering below my rib area!

Anyway, thanks again

Love Sarah x

I've been suffering from health anxiety for a year now and I've just developed the thigh twitching it's so scary I hate health anxiety it is truly the devil x

This started with me on the 1st of May this year! There are a few topics on here that i started because this worried me so very much.

It started in my left elbow area, then moved to my left upper arm
    Then to my right arm, calves and stomach area.
    It would start twitching away every few minutes up to an hour at a time. It would stop if i slapped it (lol) or rubbed it or tensed the muscle up and then relaxed it, only for it to start again a few minutes later.
    I also have the dreaded inner trembling, its at its worst when i wake in the morning, its so strong inside but you cant see it on the outside.

I panicked so much when i seen the awful things on google!! Went to the doctor and she said it was ok, and like i was told on here........if its some bad thing then the muscle twitching would be so far down the line you would be very ill indeed by the time that started and it would not be happening in different places or stopping and starting!

Logically i understand that my anxiety causes my adrenal glands to pump out adrenaline when its not needed, (including when im asleep) and this over production of chemicals need an outlet to escape and it uses the twitching and trembling sometimes as one of those outlets (which i cant control)
    I also notice that i am "tensed" a lot, almost like im clenching my whole body and this can put a stress on the muscles and they can twitch or tremble to try to get rid of the tenseness.

4 months later and I still have the twitching!! It can be gone for a week and then suddenly it will appear from nowhere and go on for hours/days at a time again.
    I am now learning to live with it, its not easy but its not the worst anxiety symptom i have so when it happens i give it a rub and quickly do something to take my mind off it, and try to remind myself that its my body doing its job and that i will be just fine.

I too get muscle twitching!!!! funny thing is when i get a new symptom the twitching dissappears... or decreases as Im spending all of my time worrying about the new symptom!!! I never really understood the whole ' the more you think about it the more it happens ' logic but my own body kind of prooved it!!! I bet the minute a new anziety symptom crops up the twitching will decrease!! it seems whenever my body is fine with a symptom a new one develops to scare me again!
    my doctor told me that an anxiety sufferer subconsiously thrives on anxiety and the minute you feel okay your body will produce another scary symptom!
    good luck xxxxxx

Mummytobe pmsl your exactly like me,once I'm ok with a symptom I get a new one and I'm so glad you've mentioned it because I thought I was alone on that one,thinking about it now has given me an idea like for the past couple of days I've been having chest pains so what I'm going to do is tomorrow when I get my chest pains I'm going to try and fabricate a new symptom and see if my chest pain goes,wish me luck and ill keep u posted,thanks x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information