Thread: Just sitting there and . . . WHAM!

Question Just sitting there and . . . WHAM!

Hello everyone,

I just posted my intro. out on the introductions forum. Although I don't struggle with anxiety/panic myself, my poor hubby does and so I've joined this to learn more about what he's going through and learn how best to help him.

So this is about his symptoms not mine . . .

Sometimes he can be just "sitting there" as he puts it, at work, maybe helping someone with a computer issue or something, and he gets hit with one of his symptoms. This morning, for example, he was just sitting next to someone at work helping them figure out a software problem, and he suddenly started feeling "distant" and unsteady. He said he didn't even feel safe crossing back over the street to get back to his office.

Thing is, he wasn't consciously worrying or panicking or feeling anxious or anything. He was "just sitting there" and suddenly started feeling this odd distancing (i.e. derealization) and then unsteady, unsafe, wobbly.

Does anyone else have this? It's most disconcerting for him . . .

Thanks all, and I appreciate everyone's insights and advice!

Re: Just sitting there and . . . WHAM!

I used to get this more frequently, before I got my panic and anxiety under control. It may be that he is unconciously hyperventilating (by that, I mean breathing quite quickly and quite shallowly). It would be worth him doing some breathing techniques to help with this. Would he entertain the thought of yoga or meditation? These both teach good relaxation methods. I also found I was more prone to anxiety like that when I am subconsciously worrying about something else. For example, worrying about mmoney and feeling odd at work, but not really making the connection. Now if I get anxious, I realise I must be worrying about something else!

Fnally, it's worth thinking about blood sugar levels - is he eating lots of slow release foods (oats, whole grain etc) instead of 'quick release' sugary stuff? this has a big impact on how wobbly I feel, regardless of whether I am suffering anxiety or not!

I'm a bit like that at the min I can be sitting, laying or standing then all of a sudden it feels like the floor is coming towards me, had it quite bad earlier. I try and stay up right as much as possible and try and drink loads of water. Also I have a B12 deficiency might be worth getting checked for that or other lack opf vitamins, Iron, Folic, B6 etc.

Is this definitely derealisation? I was at work once (at a day nursery) and was just talking to a colleague when the children were eating their lunch and wham, I very suddenly felt panicky, dizzy and very weird. Almost as soon as it came it went, but it took me a moment to get calm again. I didn't say anything to anyone and just dealt with it. 2 months later I had my first panic attack.

I guess this is just another symptom of anxiety, good luck to your husband. He's very lucky to have your support and understanding!

x

i get that exact same thing.....i think that even though your hubby didnt think he was in a "situation" really he was because the focus was on him whilst he was helping someone at work, i:e his words were being listened to & he was being focused on. i have exactly the same prob, i sometimes cant see why i feel like i am feeling but then i realise its when the attention/focus is on me however small it may be! maybe he feels like that subconsiously?

its quite "normal" for someone suffering with anxiety i think.

charl. XXX

Thread Information