Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-reading things

Re-reading things

Hi all,

I've had this for years but some times it is worse than others and when it is bad it really annoys me

I'm reading a CBT book at the moment and its taking forever to get through it because I find myself having to re-read sentences or paragraphs. I only read about 2-3 pages at a time because I get so fed up with having to read things again!

There are times where I can whizz through a book but these past few weeks I cant and I dont know why. I dont feel particularly anxious when I am reading - maybe I am subconsciously worrying that I will start to re-read sentences and that actually triggers it to happen

Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips on how to deal with it?

I've got 3 more books which are sat around waiting to be read so I dont want to be spending months on one book!

Thanks

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Re: Re-reading things

Hi there

I can relate to your OCD ive had it all my life, not with reading though but I do have a habit that has formed with books especially if its about a topic I wish to learn about. I read slower and reread because I want to get the facts right and really understand what im reading because my mind sometimes wont let me hold onto info. Does that make sense?
    Perhaps that could be what your doing and you dont know it. Its just a theory.

I hope you manage to read the book and get out of it something good.

perhaps Ive got it wrong.

Take care
    Smudgie

Hi Smudgie, thanks for your reply

No that's a very good point. I've done that before with books where I have re-read something to make sure the information goes into my head.

I think maybe that is what is happening here as I am trying to learn techniques for improving self esteem. For some reason I cant seem to trust that my mind will retain the information, I have to read things sometimes 5-6 times, and in a certain way before I can move on.

Sometimes I have to read it out loud to myself as it makes it "clearer" somehow.

Jo xxxxx
    "I love you."

This has become a big problem for me lately. I am a big reader anyway and can sit and read a whole book in a day, i have always been a skimer and can read without looking at every word but have recently found that if a word catches my eye i have to go back and read it again really concentrating on it. The problem is worse if i am flicking through the paper and part of a headline or sentence catches my eye and i can't relax untill i have re-read it properly word for word, i try and ignore it but sometimes have had to turn back pages to read them properly and like Lilith have found myself talking the words out loud so i know i have got them all. It is so annoying as i love to read but it is taking longer and longer to do and i find my nerves are all jangled cause i am waiting for it to happen.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

hiya jo. i think the best tip i could give you hun is to try and disregard this and not worry about it to much. i think the more you dwell on it the more of a problem it will become. just accept that it is something you do and it will more than likely stop on its own. we all have silly things we do jo, i think everyone has a touch of ocd some where or some how. try not to make a big issue of it jo and you might find it will pass. best of luck hun and best wishes. take care.

kellie .xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all your replies

Yeah, I think the more frustrated I get about it the worse I will get, I guess it doesnt matter how long it takes to read a book, as long as I get through it! lol

Thanks again all.

Jo xxxxx
    "I love you."

Hi

Im glad you posted the thread and I hope you found our support useful, I may be wrong of course but Im glad you said it dosnt matter how long it takes to read the book.

Take care of you
    Smudgie

Yep Smudgie your'e right, it shouldn't matter, not really
    But it must be frustrating for Jacq, i too read alot and quickly and it would be maddening to not do that. However find it does happen when the book doesn't really catch my interest. And isn't totally absorbing, or if there are other things on my mind, i can't concentrate or enjoy it Usually know after first couple of chapters.
    Lilith perhaps this is happening because the book is an important pyschological book which you feel you need to really take in properly. Or maybe it just doesn't "spark your interest" enough
    When i read an exciting fictional book it's a way of escape and don't want to put it down, but if a therapy book then i have to do it in bitesize chunks, one bit at a time to make sure i have understood it .
    Richie xxxxx

Hi Richie, i think you are spot on with your comments although i had never thought of it that way before. I have got a lot on my mind lately as i have been waiting to hear if my DLA claim from last december has been succesfull (got a letter on saturday and been awarded lower rates for mobility and care allowance ) and was also worried about easter holidays and kids being at home. I go to the library every tuesday evening and get out 5 books but find that it's getting hard to find anything new that really sparks my interest, so just get some for the sake of it and never really get into them, likewise the paper it isn't for entertainment but just to see whats happened recently so i find it hard to concentrate and get excited about it. I am glad to think it is just a response to other problems rather than a problem itself as i love reading as a way to escape being stuck in the house all day. i am also the same with therapy books, iv'e been reading my current one for over 6 months and find it helps to read a chapter or so and put that into practise untill i am comfortable with it then move on to the next bit.

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Yes I do this too if my anxiety levels are up - totally empathise! I'm a total bookworm and it can get tedious to to keep rereading or not absorb the infomation etc etc.

I think much like over checking the backdoor is locked, we just have to tell ourselves 'it's ok and it doesn't matter it's just Mr anxiety playing up again and ignore it until subsides again.

Piglet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information