Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Want To Reduce My 20mg - Feel Crap

I Want To Reduce My 20mg - Feel Crap

Hi

I have been on citalopram 20mg for 3 weeks now, having previously been on 10mg for 6 weeks before that.

The side effects have been awful. I feel so spaced out, anxious,feeling sick, tired, and just feeling rubbish.

Would it be silly to reduce them to 15mg for a while and then back to 10mg?

I have been on 10mg on and off for past 2 years and never felt as bad as i do now.

Anyone else felt this bad and had to reduce back down?

love mandie x

Re: I Want To Reduce My 20mg - Feel Crap

Hi Mandie,

I think the side effects should have subsided by now.If I were you I'd go back to my gp and have a chat about this.Maybe the dose is too much or maybe its not the right med for you.I dont think it would hurt to reduce to 15mg in the meantime though but I would certainly see my gp.
    julie x

Quote Originally Posted by mandie View Post
    Hi

I have been on citalopram 20mg for 3 weeks now, having previously been on 10mg for 6 weeks before that.

The side effects have been awful. I feel so spaced out, anxious,feeling sick, tired, and just feeling rubbish.

Would it be silly to reduce them to 15mg for a while and then back to 10mg?

I have been on 10mg on and off for past 2 years and never felt as bad as i do now.

Anyone else felt this bad and had to reduce back down?

love mandie x

Hi Mandie,

I agree with Julie, in taking them for as long as you have I would have thought you would not suffer with side effects as much as you are doing.
    It would be wise to chat it over with the GP and please do not despair, we all sometimes need to try a few different types before settling on the one thats suits us. Good luck and try to keep a positive outlook on this - you will succeed.

All the best

(roy)
    x

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

Hi

Not sure if i made myself very clear but iv only been on 20mg for 3 weeks.

I was fine taking 10mg, and have been taking them on and off for few years.

I thought maybe i just need to give them time to settle.

I dont no. Im so fed up of feeling like this

love mandiex

Mandie- I know you've only been on 20mg for 3 weeks but as you'd already been on 10mg for 6 weeks before that, I would have thought you'd be over the increase side effects by now.I was over them in about a week. I know we are all different, that is why I think you should discuss it with your gp.Why did your gp increase the dose?
    julie x

Hi Julie

Dr increased them because i had a bad panic attack at work, so he thought i need to increase the dose.

I feel so spaced out, maybe its not the meds, maybe its just cause i so anxious.

Since having the big panic attack at work, im constantly in fear of having another one.

Its all i can think of, which i no is not helping me at all

love mandie x

My GP won't even entertain the idea of 10mg. He said that it is not a theraputic dose for an adult and is only for the elderly and when withdrawing from the drug. He is keeping me on 20mg for general anxiety for at least the next 6 months. If the side effects are really bad maybe you need to see your GP about changing the drug?

Mandie

You really need to speak to your gp.The meds are supposed to stop anxiety/panic once the side effects have worn off.I think you should be feeling better by now.Maybe the meds are not for you.Do you feel bad all the time or do you get brief periods of feeling good? If you get the latter then I would continue with them cos those periods get longer until you feel good all the time.If you feel bad all the time then I think you need a change in meds.Let us know how you get on.
    julie x

Hi Julie

When i went back on the 10mg in January after a week i felt fine.

Its only since i started the 20mg that i have been feeling like this.

Spoke to my dr last nite and asked him if i could reduce them to 15mg. He said that was fine.

He only put them up cause of one bad panic attack. Before that attack i was coping fairly well.

I no i am making myself worse because i am now i constant fear of another big attack.

Since taking 20mg i dont sleep very well, going to sleep at bout 3 and 4am and then getting up at 7 for work, whereas on the 10mg my sleep was fine

thanks for getting back to me

love mandie x

Quote Originally Posted by mandie View Post
    Hi Julie

When i went back on the 10mg in January after a week i felt fine.

Its only since i started the 20mg that i have been feeling like this.

Spoke to my dr last nite and asked him if i could reduce them to 15mg. He said that was fine.

He only put them up cause of one bad panic attack. Before that attack i was coping fairly well.

I no i am making myself worse because i am now i constant fear of another big attack.

Since taking 20mg i dont sleep very well, going to sleep at bout 3 and 4am and then getting up at 7 for work, whereas on the 10mg my sleep was fine

thanks for getting back to me

love mandie x
    Hi Mandie,

I know this is difficult but please try to accept the panic attack and try not to let your mind fool you into thinking they will occur regularly.
    I too have suffered three since being on the meds but this is nothing compared to the freedom of actually handling any potential attacks because of the space they have given me. I am so much more confident in my own ability to cope now. Hopefully you will feel the same in time and 'time' I am afraid is the one thing we have to give them to reach their full effect.

Take Care,

(roy)

x

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information