Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alcohol and meds

Question alcohol and meds

Does anyone know if alcohol has an effect on anti-depressents? Does it stop them working for instance? I take 40mg seroxat (paroxatine) and am unsure if having a glass of wine or two could stop them from working? Advice anyone? Thanks C xxxxx

Re: alcohol and meds

Hi Popsy,

Have a look through the instruction leaflet for your medication and see what it says about alcohol consumption.
    Alcohol,of itself,is a depressant when taken to excess.
    You must judge what is best for you but for what it's worth I would try to avoid doing anything which could have a negative impact on your Meds.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hi, I'm on 30mg of seroxat and the paitent information leaflet says to avoid alcohol. I have got drunk while taking them before and i find my symptoms are 10 times worse the next day ...... best to avoid i think.

see how you do but dont drink to excess.

Sue
    xxx

Thank you for advice, i think i will try and avoid then, maybe just on the odd occassion!
    I am new to this site and i cant believe how much better i already feel from reading other peoples stories and chatting, its fab to know IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!
    Thank you to who ever developed this site! C x x x x

I can only add to what has been said: read the leaflet that came with your medication. Generally it is best to avoid alcohol with anti-depressants.

Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    Hi Popsy,

Alcohol,of itself,is a depressant when taken to excess.
    In clinical terms a depressant is something that inhibits brain function (makes you feel more numb), not something that induces depression. That's why alcohol is a depressant. I wouldn't be surprised if many drugs we call antidepressants are /technically/ depressants - but I'm not sure about that :\

Obviously there's a come-down from alcohol, but that is due to withdrawal, not to the drug itself. The same applies to other addictive drugs. For example, cocaine is a stimulant - the opposite of a depressant - but you still feel depressed when you come down off it (or so I gather!).

My meds have always had a label on saying "Avoid alcohol", but I've always ignored it and have never suffered ill effects. That said, I've never been on Seroxat, just clomipramine and citalopram. I would see what the experience is of other Seroxat users before making a decision.

Obviously there's a risk with depression of using alcohol as a crutch. Pharm companies are very cautious and I suspect in many cases the "don't drink" warnings are there to stop them getting sued. But maybe it's best to err on the side of caution.

Alcohol, though mood enhancing in small quantities is a depressant when the effects start to wear off. I take 30mg of seroxat and if i drink to excess i feel dreadful the next day ........ depressed, panicked ..... the other symptoms you dont want to know about!! it always feels like i've taken a step back a week.

Also, alcohol is processed through the liver as is seroxat, so if you drink regurlarly whilst on this medication you risk doing yourself serious damage

Sue
    xxx

i used to take citalopram and despite the avoiding alcohol warning - i still had my sat night tipple - however the effects the next day were horrendous - hangovers are a million times worse for an anxiety sufferer. Even now some 5 years later i try to avoid alcohol in excess as the next day i just feel like i am back to square one - twitchy, irritable, restless etc and the dehydration and tiredness just fuels my anxiety to ridiculous levels.

My friend used to be on meds and she would drink heavily, get drunk really quickly and then be so spaced out the next day.

I've never taken meds but if I were you I would limit alcohol or if you can, cut it out completely

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information