Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between panic and anxiety?

What's the difference between panic and anxiety?

Am new to panic attacks so sorry for this question which probably has an obvious answer!
    I was reading a post from someone who said they stopped getting panic attacks and now suffer with anxiety attacks and was wondering if someone could describe an anxiety attack to me.

hi annette,

I would say the anxiety is what you get before a panic attack, or after its the fear just bubbling away, not sure how else to explain it, anxiety is always there and i think the panic comes when you've lost control of the situation not sure if that makes any sence LOL xx

kairen x

Its generally described as a difference in intensity with a full blown panic attack being a 10 and off the scale.

Feeling anxious and having an anxiety attack may be a 6 and 8 or whatever you decide for your own scale

Feeling stressed may be a 4 and so on.

Any help ?

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

I see it as with anxiety I just feel anxious and jittery and it is uncomfortable but I can cope - just about!!

Panic attacks - they are the agggghhh !! where you hyperventilate and can't breathe, feel faint etc etc.

So to me the difference is that an anxiety attack comes first but it never develops into a full blown panic attack.

I now suffer from anxiety attacks and not full blown panic attacks and whilst just as scary I don't get all the added symptoms of a panic attack.

Does that make any sense?

Nicola

Thanks all. That makes perfect sense! I do get panic attacks but hadn't found a name for the jitters I often get.
    Thats really helpful.

Annette

I think the reason there's a difference is because you can suffer from anxiety without suffering from panic attacks but not the other way around..

Hi Annette, I suffered with Panic attacks at first when things would go completely out of control and I thought I would die, I had palpitations, couldn't breathe and hought my hed would explode. I don't get the panic attacks so much now more just general anxiety but it is still horrible symptoms and am so glad i found this site as i know i'm not on my own now and am so thankful to everyone on here for their advice and support.
    I really hope you feel better soon
    Take care
    Love Lisaxxxx

i would say panic was short term as it is an attack wich comes and goes whilst anxiety is long term and can last for ages, dont no if that makes sence

Scooter Girl AKA Jade

Finally NOT SINGLE!!!!!!

I agree with you Lisarose that it is really helpful to discover this site and know that you are not alone. It has made me realise that the panic attacks are not harmful and I now feel much calmer (even if that is a contradiction...LOL) when I have an attack. The fantastic explanation of what is actually physically happening to cause the sensations of a panic attack has enabled me to cope much better. It is also good to know that whenever I have a question or need to talk the people here are so friendly and supportive.

Annette

annette

we are all here to help and support each other!!!!!

Scooter Girl AKA Jade

Finally NOT SINGLE!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information