Thread: constant swallowing

constant swallowing

I am finally not having any more panic attacks and all my syptoms are gone except for one - that is constant swallowing. Have you ever heard of anyone having that before - it is very annoying and I can't seem to stop it. My panic attacks started when I took some over the counter medicinein January for a head cold. For two nights I could not sleep and paced the floor. I went on an antibiotic for a sinus infection and was fine four about fourteendays then I had to take medication for a yeast infection and once again I had a weekend of panic attacks. I was fine all week long but then on the weekend I had panic attacks again. The following weekend I started hving excess saliva in my mouth with constant swallowing - and agian panic attacks. The following week I ended up on an antibiotic for my sinus again. The sinus problems went away but the anxiety increased. I wasn't sleeping, and barely drinking or eating. At first I didn't always have the swallowing problem. Then one day I started with the constant swallowing even though I din't have any excess saliva. My doctor tried me on antianxiety medication and zoloft which both made me very very ill and so I stopped them. It wasn't until a friend gave me some valium which I cut in half and took on half at night before bedtime. Teh next day my anxiety was better. I took another half that night and I haven't had an axiety attack since. I have not had any other symptoms of anxiety for 15 days. I probably took the valium a total of
    6 night during the past 16 days. I feel great and back to my old self except for the swallowing. I have had a throat and sinus scan done , blood work and urine tests. I am fine physically except for a polyop in one of my sinus so there is no medical reson for the swallowing. I don't seem to do it in my sleep. Have you ever hear do this - how do I get it to stop

Re: constant swallowing

I used to have horrible problems with this. Even to the point where the excessive swallowing would either give me gas (SORRY about that but it's true) like a burp that was stuck or a sore throat and then the anxiety would flair up and I'd panic about it. The what ifs got me thinking about throat cancer and the like!!!
    I just started to become more aware of when I would start to do it and then make myself stop. As I started to get control over it - it lessened in frequency and I wasn't so panic stricken when it would happen.
    It's a habit! And the doc told me that a habit takes at least 30 days to break.
    Seemed like forever but I don't have the swallowing issue anymore so I have finally overcome at least that problem!
    Have several more to work on but its a step forward I guess
    Hope knowing that someone else has gone thru it helps a little hun!!!
    xxx
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by eeyorelover View Post
    I used to have horrible problems with this. Even to the point where the excessive swallowing would either give me gas (SORRY about that but it's true) like a burp that was stuck or a sore throat and then the anxiety would flair up and I'd panic about it. The what ifs got me thinking about throat cancer and the like!!!
    I just started to become more aware of when I would start to do it and then make myself stop. As I started to get control over it - it lessened in frequency and I wasn't so panic stricken when it would happen.
    It's a habit! And the doc told me that a habit takes at least 30 days to break.
    Seemed like forever but I don't have the swallowing issue anymore so I have finally overcome at least that problem!
    Have several more to work on but its a step forward I guess
    Hope knowing that someone else has gone thru it helps a little hun!!!
    xxx
    Sandy
    hi there how didd you stop your swallowing issues plz thanks joyce

Joyce - we have already advised you on this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information