Thread: Niacinamide?

Niacinamide?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with taking niacinamide? I was told today that this particular form of niacin can be helpful with GAD and panic disorders. The recommended dosage was 500 mg to 2000 mg over the course of the day, with advice to start at the low end and go from there.

I did a browser search and came up with some encouraging information, but wondered if anyone here had actually taken this form of niacin versus other forms and reaped any benefits.

If no one has, I may obtain some and give it a shot. My doctor already has me taking a B-complex vitamin that has 100 mg of niacin, so I figure it can't hurt.

Re: Niacinamide?

I'm taking Niacinamide (500mg three times a day), since like you I had read online that it can be helpful...such as "may act to decrease lactic acid levels" and apparently alot of people with anxiety are sentsitivev to lactic acid.

Overall, I think it may help a little. Can't say that it has cured me or made a huge difference. Doesn't seem like it would hurt to try it.

Thank you, Panicpete.

What I was told is that this form of niacin was helpful over time in getting the central nervous system back into a healthy zone where the "fight or flee" autonomic response would not kick in at the slightest stimuli. When I looked it up online, I did see some testimonials that it worked as well as anti-anxiety medications, but in my experience vitamins always take time to work. I am also skeptical about the niacinamide being some sort of "magic bullet" that would do away with the anxiety overnight.

Still, as you say, it can't hurt to give it a shot. A friend of mine with diabetes takes 1500 mg of niacin a day on the advise of his doctor and he says it helps to keep his LDL cholesterol in check. I found some niacinamide at a cheap price in an online vitamin store (what the heck, I wanted to get some passion flower teabags anyway LOL) and it should be here in a few days. I'll work it into my vitamin regimen and see if it seems to make a difference.

As an update, the niacinamide made no impact on me at all. I'm disappointed, but at least now I can focus my attention elsewhere.

Thread Information