Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with conversations

problem with conversations

Hi guys, I just felt like sharing this with you ...
    When I'm anxious and panicky, I always find it extremely hard to hold a conversation. I feel really awkward and inadequate, I start to stumble over words, I can't pronounce them right, sometimes my whole sentence structure gets messed up, sometimes I just don't know what to say or how to say it. And then I feel even worse, and more panicky, and more anxious.
    Do you ever get this?

indie,

sometimes i find when im talking i feel like my mind and mouth are talking but im just watching it all.....very odd but the conversation always seems to go fine!!! think that because you are thinking and feeling anxiuos your mind is not quite concentrating, in fact it is preoccupied worrying and not thinking about your conversation. completley normal and nothing to worry about, just try to be conciuos and focus on the task in hand.

take care

doddy

Hi,

I had this just last night. I was at a nieghbours house. I was talking to her and her hubby and suddenly felt like It wasnt me talking, I was just hearing what was coming out. Iv had this loads, so can just ignore it now.
    From what iv read, its part of DP. Seems most things that happen to me are!!

Jude x

I get this sometimes as well. I think it's because my brain is so busy panicking that it can't think of the words..

hi indie

I used to feel very inadequate when with other people and always kept very quiet...incase i made a fool of myself..i used to think that people could SEE my anxiety. I think you probably feel the same.

take care[^]

Hi Indie,

Firstly welcome to the site.

I get this sometimes as well. It's more common than you think.
    Mind you sometimes it can go the other way. If I'm panicing sometimes my mouth seems to have a motor on it and will chat non stop.

People look at me and think I'm weird but hey ho whatever gets me through.

I just say my brain is working overtime....the thing is, is try not to worry about it as much.

with good wishes

Zena

I get this too.... one of the worst things is I'll forget what I am talking about mid sentence,it's very embarrassing and this only increases my anxiety.

Hi Indie
    Welcome to the site. As you can see you are not alone in this at all. I too sometimes find it hard to hold a conversation (not that often mind you lol). It normally happens when someone starts asking me questions and i go a complete blank and either answer wrong or like Delta forget what i was going to say mid sentence then i feel as though i'm making myself look silly [Ugh].
    Take care
    Tracy
    x

hi and welcome,

yes i get that didnt think anyone else did though LOL, i do that delta stop in mid conversation and cant remember what i was talking about, its not as bad when you can type it down cos you can then re read it ah if only life was so simple you will get loads of help here averyone is great you will get loads of confidenc through this site

godd luck xxx

kairen x

Hey Indie.

Yeah, I get the same. Forget what I'm saying mid-sentence, everyone staring at me waiting for a reply which just makes it even harder to think. Urg.

That said, no-one's ever commented on it (and I do have some pretty tactless friends), so I think it seems a lot worse to me than to anyone else. When I realised this, I stopped caring so much and it got easier.

All the best

Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information