Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaying when in a conversation - anyone?

Swaying when in a conversation - anyone?

Hi Everyone,

I suffer from panic disorder, I have done for years but had it under control up until Jan this year, culminating in me missing my best mates wedding in Mauritius 3 weeks ago. It was then that I gave in started taking medcation for it. This seems to be helping but still cant shift some problems.

1. I can't talk to people in a 121 chat. I start to sway/ feel dizzy/ think im in a dream and this sets of the cycle of needing to escape. I take a deep breath and start searching for ways out of the conversation and pronto

Anyone know how to stop it or any advice on it as it really is ruining my social and professional life.

Thanks All

Blaise xx

Re: Swaying when in a conversation - anyone?

I can kind of relate to this, sometimes if im having a one to one conversation with someone standing up i start to think im going to fall over for like no reason, and end up feeling like im swaying i usually have to hold on to something to make it stop, so end up probably looking really stupid by backing towards a table or something while chatting, and eventually making an excuse and leaving pronto!!!

...baby steps everyday.

Hi,
    I relate to this too as when I was working always ended up leaning on counters or shelving and knocking things over!
    The more I thought about it the worse it was. Still have this when in one to one with folks. Even on Sat night while at bar on evening out. Speaking to the Bar man and felt swaying and had to take shoes off so I would be stable. (Wasn't drunk as I don't drink!)
    Can't think of anything to help but the more you think about it the worse it gets.
    Take care
    Love Hazel ox

Hiya Blaise,

I think the swaying/unsteadiness is all part of the anxiety symptoms :( I think they were probably the first symptoms I ever experienced. The more panicky I felt the more I would concentrate on my "unsteadiness" - grrr. I guess the thing to do (well for me anyway) is to do all the usual things like breath properly, loosen up etc and then hopefully that'll take your mind of the swaying. Easier said than done I know, but I think it works.

Good luck!

Wendy xx

Quote Originally Posted by hazey-babe View Post
    Hi,
    I relate to this too as when I was working always ended up leaning on counters or shelving and knocking things over!
    The more I thought about it the worse it was. Still have this when in one to one with folks. Even on Sat night while at bar on evening out. Speaking to the Bar man and felt swaying and had to take shoes off so I would be stable. (Wasn't drunk as I don't drink!)
    Can't think of anything to help but the more you think about it the worse it gets.
    Take care
    Love Hazel ox
    I too can relate to this, and often when feeling anxious getting this swaying feeling, or a feeling that I am staggering to the left. Also as mentioned above I have been known to take my shoes off, particularly if wearing high heels, hence when I know I am now going to be in a situation where I am going to feel anxious I tend to wear flatish shoes.

Kaz

hi,

this sounds so like me when im talking to someone, also like Kaz i live in flat shoes ..

love sandyjanexxx

I can totally relate to this too..I start to go red then sweat and the more I try to stop it the worse it becomes. I even had to jack my job in because of and I try and avoid social situations unless i've had a few drinks in my first.

Have you given the medication long enough to kick in?

Seroxat takes about 2 weeks to really see any benefit and you will feel worse before you feel better.

As a general tip, regulate your breathing. Longer, slower breaths will cool you down .

I know what you mean though - light headedness, bit floaty, bit like you are going to topple over. Almost a bit drunk?

Not easy I know - it does pass if you stick with it.

But thats easy for me to say in here - not so easy with practice!!!

Thanks Guys,

Good to know that you can all relate to this. Its that whole thinking about it more and more and not wanting the person you are talking to, to notice anythings wrong with you. I steady myself on things too and find it really scary and annoying. Just been for a walk on the canal and couldnt walk in a straight line, drives me mad!

Im taking cipralex at the moment in conjunction with Diazepam, but stopped the diaz 1 week ago and am getting some symptoms back like the 'morning rush' and loss of apetite which leads to me feeling that I will get ill if I dont eat - cycle etc etc!

Thanks for advice guys

Sam xx

Hi Blaise
    I too get like that when I'm in a conversation with someone. Sometimes I can be fine and then it comes from no where and the panic sets in. I think it's all just down to anxiety.
    With me being engaged in conversation even one i'm interested in also means being trapped until the other person has finished. I'm not as bad when I'm doing the talking as I am distracted from what I'm panicking about while I string a sensible sentence together, lol. But this can lead to me over dominating conversations sometimes, which is definitely not cos I like the sound of my own voice. I also try to hurry the other person up by encouring them to continue if they pause for too long and even worse, sometimes I butt in to shut them up. No the wonder I'm billy no mates!!!
    So you are not alone it's just another one of those anx symptoms. And probably cos we also feel a bit vulnerable when in one to one chat that we feel a bit more anx than we would if were in a group as you aren't often noticed if you nip off for a bit or lean against a wall or something. I often find 1 to 1 a bit intense...there's little or no opportunity to escape without making a complete prat of yourself. Try not to focus on it...easy I know!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information