Thread: Scared of everything

Scared of everything

Although my biggest worry is my health, I seem to have developed fears of everything.

We're going to Devon in June, and I'm too scared to go on the beach in case there's a tsunami.

I went on the bus today, and was suspicious of everyone that got on.

I'm doing a course in may, in Kent. Wouldn't do the one in London, which is closer, in case of a terrorist attack.

I just wish that I could live a normal life, but these irrational thoughts just seem to take over.

I don't know whether it's because my daughter is young, because I went through the same when my son was young. It eased off after a while. I had more PA's when he was small, but I seem to be able to control them when I feel one coming on now.

xxDebxx

Hi Deb, I know what you mean about being scared of everything, however these days I do try and put it in perspective. I worry about lung cancer cos I smoke too much, but then think if I did have lung cancer then its not like I could change it. I worry that my daughter who is 17 will get ill, but if she did, id take her to the Dr or the Hospital. I worry that my cats will get a serious injury, but then if they did, panic or not, I know I would do my best to get them to the vets, even if I had to take them in a taxi. I guess im just trying to say that there is always an alternative way of thinking. Take the tsunami, well, unless you live in that area there is a very very very slight chance of you being anywhere near one, and just say you were, if you survived it, you would be in the same boat as everyone else and I bet that you would help everyone around you and give 100% effort. Its just my personal opinion, but whenever a real crisis has occured during my life I get on with it and cope, its all this sitting around with nothing to do but imagine disasters that gets to me. If anything really serious happened in our lives, we would get on with it, not like some people who have never faced anything more scary than deciding what to watch on the telly.

The majority of us are very strong people.

June x

long term panic/anxiety sufferer, add agroaphobia to that, fed up

hi Debs,

I often get these irrational fears and I know that they seem real to us but the only way that I have started to get over mine is by telling myself that I'm being ridiculous. There's more chance of being abducted by aliens than there is of Devon being hit by a tsunami lol. When you're in Devon, force yourself to sit on the beach for a while even if you are scared. That way, you will prove to yourself that you were just being silly..

Sarah

Debs,

I think this is quite normal when we are in high anxiety states.
    We have negative thoughts which turn into possibilities & then into definites in our minds.
    I know I have times when every disaster in the world is going to repeat itself in 'my own backyard'.
    I think the only way to deal with this is to confront the fears, to attempt to do the things that scare us. Much easier to say than do, I know.
    But it's only our old mate Mr Anxiety causing havoc again with our thoughts!

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

hello debs

I have been there too...it amounts to the WHAT IFs and all i can tell you is tha things will get better try to change your thought patterns by saying STOP when you think WHAT IF...once we start the circle of being scared it gains strength from our worries and the smallest things become enormous. If you dont allow these things to gain momentum then your fears will settle...i understand how difficult it is and have been there myself...so i am talking from years of experience.

take care

Hi Deb

It is quiute normal although you wont think it, but when feeling anxious the strangest things can scare you. I wouldnt and couldnt watch the news as every bad story i heard it was me that could do that.

I do understand how you feel, and if i can help you more i will. It is horrible but you will get through this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Hi Deb,

I can't add anything else to what the others have been saying.
    When we panic we do have these weird thoughts. Nine times out of ten they are unfounded.

Go enjoy your holiday in Devon. Get away from it all.

I used to have loads of thoughts when going back and forth with hubby to Wales every month or so.....will he have a fit when we are away...will the flat burn down...what will happen if....!
    At the end of the day..things will happen...you wouldn't believe how strong minded though you will be if anything did.

Go for it girly...have a nice holiday.
    Take care.

with good wishes

Zena

Thread Information