Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four Months with Claire Weekes

Four Months with Claire Weekes

After 4 months of working with Dr. Claire Weekes methods, along with a book called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook", I believe I have now transitioned well onto the recovery side of this illness. Having been a life-long sufferer (on and off), I write the above with a sense of caution, however.

I have to thank this forum, because it is here that I read the name of Dr. Weekes for the first time in my life. How I wish I had known about her, and her techniques, 30 years or more ago! But no sense looking back in regret, it is the future that is important, and I feel that my own future is now in good hands with the management and coping skills I have learned.

I am now sleeping soundly through the night, and not waking up with those dark, horrible feelings that we all have around 4 a.m. When I do wake up in the morning, I no longer have that feeling (both physically and mentally) that used to come over me like a wave. I just wake up! How wonderful to do that again!

However, perhaps most of all, I no longer have that constant preoccupation with self that takes all of us out of the real world, and keeps us in the world of our own symptoms and suffering.

I've recently had days when I have FORGOTTEN that I was going through this again in the first place!

This morning, my mind is on the upcoming long holiday weekend here, and all of the great plans we have with family and friends.

My long winded point is this: that it doesn't matter if you're one of the young people experiencing this for the first time, or one of the older people who have gone through this off and on for decades, there IS a way to learn to cope and manage. "It" may or may not ever go away. But one can learn to turn the worst of times, into manageable times, and hence help move the process of recovery along.

From the time I first received my first Claire Weekes book (Hope and Help for Your Nerves) and her audio CD lectures (Pass Through Panic), it has been four months. Would it all have passed on its own regardless? That's certainly possible, because thats how it has happened in the past.

BUT . . . I NOW HAVE THE SKILLS TO COPE WITH ANY FUTURE RETURNS.

That's where the value is. At 52 years old, I have more years behind me than I do in front of me. I'm going into the years with confidence, and a sense of relief, knowing that any return of panic and anxiety "spells" can be dealt with in a positive and assertive way.

There IS hope and help for YOUR nerves!!!

Re: Four Months with Claire Weekes

Thats fantastic, it give us all hope .
    So pleased for you, good luck with everything, but remember to come back and visit us sometimes!!!
    C xxx

...baby steps everyday.

hello there, great post and what an achievement for u you do sound very together and postive and enjoying life.

long may this continue for you and i hope you remain on site and carry on posting as your positive steps will help others to do the same
    big to you and i enjoy talking to you xxxxx

Hi

That is so encouraging to hear. My anxiety began a year ago and through CBT and medication I have got from the point of where I couldn't leave the house to the point where I can go almost anywhere. But the anxiety is still there, it has just lessoned. I still feel detached from the world sometimes. I am coming off the meds now and am only on half the dose I have been on for the past 8 months.

One thing you said really struck me.

'I no longer have that constant preoccupation with self that takes all of us out of the real world, and keeps us in the world of our own symptoms and suffering'.

This to me is key and keeps me stuck in the anxious state. A constant state of fear.

I am very interested in trying Claire Weekes methods. Can you tell me why you found it so useful?

Thanks

Michelle

Yes, I'd also like to wish you all the very best in the future nev. I'd also like to give my regards to mtmatum for equal success in recovery.

Take care
    Best wishes
    Cathy xx xx

Quote Originally Posted by mlondon View Post
    I am very interested in trying Claire Weekes methods. Can you tell me why you found it so useful?
    Michelle,

If I had to choose one word, it would be a word that was used entirely too frequently years ago, and not enough today: practical.

If I had more than one word to use, I'd have to say that her methods help correct mental "mistakes" that lead us into the situation(s) that we find ourselves in with this illness.

Also, and this is VERY important: Please note that I've used the word "recovery" and not "cure". These two words cannot be used interchangeably as many do. I feel I have crossed over into the realm of recovery with this, but by no stretch of the imagination (mine or others') would I say that I have been cured. I have "recovered" many times over since my early 20's!

This time around however, I do not fear the return (if and when that happens). In fact, I believe that the coping skills and management techniques that I have recently learned may even prevent a recurrance from reaching the levels that they have in the past.

These methods should be taught in schools as part of any lifeskills training for students.

Thank you to everyone who posted good wishes on this thread.

Today (Monday) is a good example between the terms "recovery" and "cure".

Big holiday day today here in the States. House will be filling up with people in about an hour. I woke up this morning and immediately went into the feelings of anxiety, combined with the increased heart rate, etc. Been preparing for the day, and when I sit down I feel jittery inside.

The saving grace of all this, is that I know that this is how I should feel to begin with. Considering the condition, the symptoms are normal. They're not due to any physical problem, its an issue with anxiety. Adrenaline is being released due to the anxious feelings for the day, and the organs that are affected directly by adrenaline (i.e. the heart, etc.) are responding exactly the way that they should respond.

I've been thinking about taking a small dose of xanax for the day. For me, just 1/4 of a .25mg will take the edge off for a few hours (and its such a small dose that it doesn't affect my head). But I think I'll just ride it out.

It is certainly nowhere near what it would have been just a few short months ago. I probably would have had a few bouts of panic already this morning from the physical sensations. Now, knowing what I now know about it, I can just step back and evaluate how things are progressing -- i.e. getting better, or getting worse. So far, I'd say that it has leveled off.

But this is more an example of recovery, than it is of being cured. With recovery, you can get back most of your life and just cope with what remains of the illness. With a cure, the symptoms would not return at all. Ever. I'd sure like to experience cure some day. But for now, I'll just thank my stars that I'm traveling along the recovery road.

P.S. I just uploaded a new "happy" picture for my profile.

Well, it's gone. Entirely. This morning was my first day of waking up and wondering "where is it?". I was actually looking for even the slightest hint of "it". Nowhere to be found -- either physically or mentally. So I took about an hour and just relaxed and enjoyed it. Not even the slightest nerve-ending buzz. It's like my body is quiet, along with my mind. No feelings of doom, or that something is wrong with me. No sensation of my heart beating (where did my heart go?!). Morning blood pressure at 118/74 with a resting pulse of 64. It has to be from sometime in mid-2007 since I've been at this place. Even if its only one day -- this one day is encouraging -- since it's been so long, every day since then.

I write this more for that internet visitor that may find it in the future. To know that the person whose post you are reading at present was going through much of what you are experiencing right now. And that it can not only get better -- but it can disappear. Learn all that you can about it. The world is at your fingertips with the internet.

What were my symptoms? Are they similar to yours? Here they are:

1. Occasional panic attacks with very rapid heart rates and high spikes in blood pressure (198/116 at the Dr. office).

2. Just about constant background anxiety -- the feeling that "something just isn't right" about EVERYthing -- but especially my health.

3. Constant preoccupied thoughts of myself: always checking pulse, paying attention to just about every body sensation, reading about symptoms, thinking about what's next, being scared of how I feel.

4. Waking up at odd hours of the morning, usually between 3:00 and 5:00 a.m. and feeling a sense of dread. Going onto the internet to forums to read the posts of others -- just to get a sense that everything really is OK and that others have gone through this as well.

5. Waking up in the morning -- feeling fine for several short seconds -- then having a wave of bad feelings envelope me from head to toe.

6. Finding it very hard to sit through movies in the theater, etc., constantly wondering if I'll make it through till the end of the film (sometimes yes, sometimes no).

7. Having true and seemingly real feelings that I was going to die. This was a horrible way to feel. I would always think "what is this thing?", "I actually feel like I'm so ill that I could die". Then, several hours later, not feeling that way at all anymore.

8. Toward the end, having a stretch of good days, only to wake up one morning with all of it back again. This went on for weeks and weeks, but fortunately, each "bout" became less intense and for a shorter duration.

9. Shakey hands and the feeling that all my nerves are "buzzing". Feeling "jittery" inside.

So, if you've been following my posts (and from the thread count, it appears that SOMEone is reading this thred), I just want you to know that -- even though you may be experiencing the symptoms that I wrote about above -- you can still get through it and come out stronger at the other end.

I knew that, sooner or later, I would wake up one morning and it would be entirely gone. Today was that day. Whether it's permanent or temporary doesn't really matter. I'm better prepared if it does come back. I still will not use the word "cured", however.

I've "recovered".

So . . . YOU will wake up one morning like this as well. Just find your path (whatever that may be) and stick to it. IT TAKES TIME. Do not pressure yourself by counting the days. And do NOT get discourage if you have bad stretches after good stretches. The good stretches will return even better if you just go with the flow. The body is made to repair itself. It will repair your broken nerves just as it will repair a broken bone.

That's my experience so far with it.

I was symptom free for years and year before it returned again last year. I'm hoping I can have years and years again. But, if not, so be it. I hope that my posts can help someone . . . perhaps in the middle of the night. If so, then go on back to bed and relax a little bit knowing that things will eventually be alright for you, too.

My best wishes to you for your own recovery.

What a fantastic post Never2late

I am so pleased that you are well on the road to recovery. It is such an inspiration to read these threads - that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks once again - and keep up your good work

Hi nev, what a great post. I have always followed your threads and posts with interest. I can relate to alot of what you say and I'll miss you if you decide to say ciao, so keep in touch.

Best wishes
    Cathy xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information