Thread: Mirena Coil (one for the ladies!)

Mirena Coil (one for the ladies!)

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has the Mirena fitted and if it helped with their anx prior to having a period? My GP suggested it after my CPN said to let him know that i was having really bad anx prior to my period then suicidal thoughts on the first few days of bleeding. He has ruled out anything menopausal and said stopping my periods may be the answer and the fact that the Mirena releases hormones it could help with my symptoms.
    I would be grateful to hear of your experiences.

Pink
    xxx

Re: Mirena Coil (one for the ladies!)

Hi pink, i had the mirena fitted when i was pre-menopause at age 46, it was mainly to control the heavy bleeding. The hormone in it is progesterone and because it sits in your womb, it releases the hormone diectly into the lining of your womb and not into your bloodstream as with hormone pills. The docs are right in that it can stop the periods, or at least reduce them and it did the job with the heavy bleeding for me. I think its worth giving it a go coz it will prob help alot with the pmt, and if it doesn't suit you its easily removed. When i no longer needed mine the nurse took it out at my local surgery.

Best wisges
    Cathy xx

Hi there.

I had the mirena coil fitted after I had my third child at the age of 45. In some people it can cause heavy bleeding initially but I was fine. I had it in place for 4 years the life span of it is 5 years. It releases a small dose of progesterone into the uterus which usually make the periods lighter or they stop. After 4 years my periods became excessively heavy and I bled for 6 months without stopping this may have been caused by the coil which I had removed or also my age could have been a factor. Whilst using the coil my anxiety levels never altered and I have not heard of it being used for that reason but obviously your gp would know more than me. Having it fitted its usually only recommended if you have already had children as they don't like opening the cervix as this could cause problems later on. Again I would ask your gp for advice. Having the coil in place is fine and it is very easy to remove.

Hi I had mine fitted January 2007, I bleed for 2 months but after that I never looked back, I had mine for the same reason as you and I have to say it has stopped my pre period anxiety by about 90% so well worth it.

On top of the coil my doctor recommended I take a good all round vitamin along with Magnesium and B complex and I have to say I do feel a lot better.

My only downside was I did put on a few pounds 8 in total but my boobs got bigger so that was a bonus . All in all I would never be with out mine it has been a god send.

Try it and if after 6 months you don’t like it have it taken out, but please remember you do need to give it time to settle down.

Sam x

Hi

Thank you ladies for all your great advice. I'm gonna book an appointment and go have it fitted.
    Will let you know how it goes and thank you all again for taking the time to reply.

Love & Hugs
    Pink
    xxx

I am on my second mirena coil,I had mine fitted after being advised to have a hysterectomy due to continuous anaemia due to heavy periods, the gynaecologist didnt think it would work,but agreed to give it a go and if not then surgery would be necessary, I had the first one for 6 and a half years (whoops)allergic to Drs so never went for a change, now had my other one 2 years. I think it is wonderful and get hardly any bleeding, I did wonder if it was causing my anxiety and depression but now know it couldnt be, give it a go, like previous posts said, its easily removed,looking back it was about 6 months before my first one settled, although second one was quicker but almost removed within an hour of inserting (I have a tilted strange womb).Once in I had no side effects whatsoever, good luck, keep us in touch,xxx

Please bear with me, Ill be back for good soon.

Thread Information