Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citalopram

Re: Citalopram

Hi Anna,

No, 20mg is the minimum 'therapeutic dose' ie the lowest dose that will have a therapeutic effect. As one of the initial side effects of Citalopram can be increased anxiety, Doctors often start patients on 10mg if they are suffering from anxiety already to allow their bodies to get used to the medication before increasing to 20mg. This helps reduce the side effect.

Being put on 20mg is no too much - it should start working soon. I think the maximum dose is 60mg so you've got a way to go yet! I'm on 40mg and it's working wonders.

Good luck, and when you get anxious try to remind yourself that any side effects you may get are just your body responding to the medication and it will have a positive effect soon. I couldn't sleep at first either but I have no trouble with this at all now. Just hang on in there.

Take care,

Will

Hi - I was 10mg like you and increased up to 20mg.

The sleeping ( or not sleeping) affected me too so I'd go to bed prepared! Relaxing bath first, and easy to read book or magazine, glass of water, I have some stuff from Lush to smear on my temples to help me relax and sleep. If I am awake I try not to worry about it and write my diary and think lovely thoughts.

Hope your side effects go soon xxxxx

hi I have been on citolopram for 11 months now been really good but in the last 2 weeks haved felt the anxious feelings I used to have but not so strongly dont know whether to ask doc to increase dose or just hold on for a while I am the same symptoms scare me and I feel as if I have something terminal and that makes me more anxious. ness

Hello,

I have been on citalopram for round about 3 years, I have been on 20mg increased the dose to 40mg, decreased the dose, come off them then back on and currently on 40mg.
    Did have some effects like dry mouth to start off with but this soon went. I'm tired a lot too but this may or may not be due to the citalopram.
    Don't know if anyone else has had this but my memory is bad, or it could probably just be me.

Hi Biddy,

No, it's not just you. My memory has definitely got worse since I started on Citalopram. I'm on 40mg now but noticed it when I was on 20mg too. I have to make a real effort to stay organised and write lists. Bit of a pain but at least I know it's the medication and I'm not going senile at 30!

Will

Hi, I have just been prescribed Citalopram at 20mg and want to know whether it's better to take it at night or in the morning, or doesn't it make any difference?

What are everyones experiences?

Thanks

I iniitally took mine at night and tried to sleep off the side effects !

Then I changed gradually to taking them in the morning.... my therapist suggested I tried changing once used to them cos' after the side effects went I used to get a 'buzz' just after taking them and not always sleep well as a result. And also it meant on a weekend if I really wanted a glass of wine I could have one - apparently it's best to take meds in the morning if you like a glass of something stronger than lemonade cos' then it gives the meds chance to work..

Thanks Will!!!
    It's great to know someone elses memory is effected as well. I usually have a few lists going.
    There are days that are worse than others, I can ask a question, then forget I have asked it so I end up asking the same thing three or four times, my man and friends are all use to it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information