Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit frightened

Bit frightened

I have just had a panic attack bad enough to make me ring the doctor. I've not been feeling right the last couple of days. Felt really low, spaced out feeling and exhausted.
    About 4 o'clock today i walked up to pick our car up from the garage and i felt pain under my breasts which i put down to trapped wind or something. I still had it when i got home so tried some pop and a mint to see if it would go. Well my mate than rang and while i was on the phone to her i started to get very hot, then i was shaking and the pain moved up to my left side of chest and over the top of my shoulder. Ifelt like i couldn't breath properly and thought i was going to pass out. I quickly got off the phone and sat quietly and tried to control it but it wasn't happening :(. I was having a cigarette and my right arm felt like it was going numb and i couldn't hold the cigarette properly in between my fingers. This went on for about 20 minutes and i got to the stage where i thought i was going to collapse so i rang the doctor. He asked me to describe everything to him but to be honest didn't seem overly bothered....he said keep an eye on things but i think you'll be fine just seems to be anxiety.
    What i didn't realise was that my eldest daughter had come downstairs and had listened to everything i was saying which in turn freaked her out and she came in crying. Now i feel terribly guilty that i couldn't hold it together and all this had to happen in front of her. Every five minutes she keeps asking if i'm ok bless her.
    Thing is i'm still not feeling right and i'm frightened if it happens again tonight as i'm on my own with the kids.
    One thing i noticed as well even though my heart rate was high i didn't noticed one ectopic beat.....weird that.
    Tracy
    xx

hello Tracy,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm sure it was very scary for you. Just remember that even if it does happen again, it can't hurt you so you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure your daughter will forget about the whole thing in a couple of days once she sees that you are ok. Hope you manage to calm down..

Sarah

Hiya Tracy,

Doctors have the knack of knowing which questions to ask.Having a little medical knowledge myself I know that if he wasnt worried, then you should put it down to anxiety.
    It sounds as though you had some indigestion or trapped wind and it scared you. It takes so little to set us off doesnt it!
    On the point of your daughter. My children have seen me in panic mode quite a lot. In a way Im glad because if they ever suffer from one, they will know what it is and that it doesn't hurt you. They show concern when it happens, but know Il be ok.
    As a child, I grew up knowing and remembering my dad having a nervous breakdown. He had huge panic attacks and although they frightened me when I started to get them, at least I knew what they were and that it wouldn't kill me.
    Mental health is still a taboo subject in our society. Please dont be ashamed or try to hide it from your kids. They need to know that it happens and people deal with it. You wouldn't hide a broken leg, so why hide a mental illness, please don't worry.
    Take care and don't be afraid
    Jude x

Be gentle with yourself....you just need some time to heal.

Hi tracey,

hope you feel a bit better now,
    I know how you feel about your daughter, mine saw me once breaking my heart but didnt say a word she just sat on the floor and cried it was awful, but she has long forgotten but its still there with me, but the way i look at it is i could not help it i did not mean to upset her and at the time there was nothing else i could do, so try not to beat yourself up about that it wasnt your fault, do hope you feel bit better now big hugg xxx

kairen x

Hi Tracy,
    Sorry you are having a rough time right now, if your doctor was in any way worried he would have asked you to go to the surgery or come on a home visit, as previously said, they know the right questions to ask, and they are the experts. As for your daughter, as long as she knows you are ok, she will be fine, even if you have to 'pretend' a little just re-assure her and she'll soon forget all about it. It does sound like a typical panc/anxiety attack, how awful are they? Try to relax for the rest of the evening, nice bath, settle the kids etc.. don't think it will happen again tonight, no negative thoughts. and if it does, it will not hurt you. From years of experience, i can promise you that! Keep in touch.

Thanks guys
    To be honest i still feel s@*t. Seems to of left me physically and mentally exhausted. Reckon if i shut my eyes right now sat at the computer i'd go to sleep. The chest pain has gone but now seem to be left with a stiff neck and headache (ok have to admit meningitis came to mind for a few seconds lol) but then realised i probably tensed all my muscles up while having the attack. See i can think rationally sometimes lol.
    My daughter isn't too bad now, when i tucked them up she said "sure you're ok" and i said i'm fine and she seems happy enough.
    Just hate the feelings you get when having a PA and how it leaves you after.

Tracy
    x

Hi Tracey

Hope you are feeling a little bit better now after this afternoon, hope you are relaxing tonight!. X X X

Hi Tracy, Poor you. It is so scary to have chest pain and especially hard when you are trying to hide it from the children. Your Doctor would not run the risk of mis-diagnosing you so I think you can take re-assurance from him 'not being overly bothered'.
    As for your daughter hearing it all - I feel that it is important for our children to know that we have insecurities, concerns and emotions. I have learnt this after shielding my 9 year old son for the last 5 years from mine and then 3 weeks ago he experienced me having a massive panic attack and I can honestly say its a relief now, to me, to know that I can act as I feel without the pressure of hiding it from him. ( That doesn't mean I tell him everything I feel just that I can relax more about how I act infront of him.) He is no worse off for knowing - I can honestly say that.
    Take care Tracy- Remember over-breathing can cause trapped nerves and strain our chest muscles causing a pain like you described. Do try to do some relaxation breathing exercises it may help.
    Love Dawn x
    PS As usual I can dole out advice I just cant heed what I give out!! I really understand how scared you feel - Been there - had the ecgs etc x

Tracy

What you have been through will leave you exhausted it does us all. Sorry your daughter heard it but we cant decide to feel like that when they are not about. Sam has experienced a panic attack and it did effect her and she came very protective but i didnt choose to inflict that on her it just happened. Remember they are more reciliant than we are and i am sure she will be fine.

How you described you feel is a panic attack and with help and support they will get easier. Although you are alone tonight you know they will always be someone on the site to help you through it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Thank you for all your support yesterday. Feeling bit better today but not 100% by any means.
    Trouble is i've got myself in a bit of a tizzy again. I've got home from work and there was a message on answer machine from the surgery checking to see how things went last night. Now obviously being in a fragile state i'm now thinking he's wondering whether it was more than a pa. I did ring the surgery back and they said he hadn't left any message for them to try and get hold of me or get me into surgery, so do i just take it that he was being polite and wanted to see how i was????
    Just wondering if anyone else has had the doctor ring to check on them the next day?????
    Thanks
    Tracy
    xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information