Thread: Citalopram Scared to take meds

Citalopram Scared to take meds

Hi. After tryting to fight for 6 months with anxiety, having up and downs, cat scans, blood tests. Which came to be all normal.I have health anxiety and always thinking that something bad is going to happen or that Im dying. I went to the doctor today that precribed Citalopram 20 mg, after googling about it before taking I felt scared, reading about people having suicidal thoughts and trying to hurt others. Usually I dont have side effects to medication, but after reading all this things I can say Im a bit scared.I and Its the first time that Im going on this kind of medication .The doctor said I could feel sick in the stomach for a couple of weeks and maybe having a high anxiety before the medication starts to kick in, but this only happen to 1 out of 10 people who takes it. I'm 23 years old and I'm really scared to start taking it. It's being a while that I dont have panic attacks, but Im always worried and thinking something bad is about to happen. Does it make u put on weight? Cause i put a stone since i started to have anxiety, and it makes my self esteem very low, and my confidence is almost zero. Do anyone that take this medication would recommend it? Thanks

Re: Citalopram Scared to take meds

i take citalopram for anx hun, im on 30mg at mo.

its was rough for first couple of weeks, sickness etc.

the side effects were also apparent when dose was increased.

i now however sleep which is wonderful.

however i find it is not as effective at managing my depressive illness.

i got to the point where i just couldnt go on and meds where the only option.

hope this helps

milly xxx

ps the suicidal tendancies attached to ssris are i think largely associated to teenagers taking the meds from what ive read.

1st day taking the medication, still no side effects. Hope it keeps this way. Had a really good day

pinkfluffybunny Guest

hey there i think its a case of see how you go while your on them and bear in mind for the first week u may feel quite crappy at times but at least u can put it down to that, if so give it chance like with most medication of this kind it takes a while to get into your system for it to start working properly, its just your body adjusting to that.

it may also be good to check in with your doc now and again so he can see your progress on them

well done cris,

uve taken the first step

keep positive hun

lots of love

milly x
    Last edited by milly jones; 12-06-08 at 11:15. Reason: sorry spelling

I have been on citalopram for a few months, first on 10mg for a week and then 20mg thereafter. I did have a few side effects for the first week and felt more anxious than usual but it didnt last long and im now feeling much better. I definately think citalopram lowers your anxiety alot and it makes it much easier to sleep etc too. I would recommend it although of course everyone is different but i hope it works out for you as well as it does for me.

HI. Thanks for ur replies. Im on day 4 and still no side effects. Just a little bit of insonnia but as I've being doing nothing since I started taking the meds ( I was afraid to have any side effects)while doing something or walking on the streets) I guess that's the reason.Bit I've been feeling great and didnt cry since I started, and before I was crying everyday. I hope you are all fine. Thanks

glad its going well hun

take care

milly xx

Thread Information