Thread: I don't know what to do?

I don't know what to do?

Sorry for a bit of a long post. I have bad spinal problems - degenerative disc disease- herniated discs and arthritis and a neurofibroma on my thoracic spine so always in pain somewhere and injure very easily.
    About a year ago I started to get stabbing pains in my back right side about waist level a few minutes after I woke up in the morming - got out of bed it went away but spine incredibly stiff and painful to move got better as hours went by. I assumed it was my back. As months went on the pain went from just sharp twinges not every morning to really bad stabbing pains and I just had to get out of bed. Now everyone says its my back BUT because I open my bowels within 10 mins of waking in morning and have always done this I suddenly thought it must be bowel pain. I have IBS so always have lots of wind and very prone to lose bowels especially if slightest bit nervous!!
    I had sigmoidoscopy and 4 occult blood tests in last year plus full stool profile and numrerous ultrasounds so everything checked and all normal.

3 months ago I had my appendix out because of stabbing pain around navel and they only took it out to see if it was okay and it was!! The surgeon said because it was okay he openend me up ( I have 6 inch scar) and had a very good rummage around - he said my small bowel and colon had no inflammatory disease just s couple of very small diverticuli just past where the sigmoidoscopy would have ended, he even felt and looked at my gallbladder and all my womens bits.

It is routine to do a colonsocpy after appendix if no infection found and I asked surgeon how important it was I had one and he said not very as all other tests normal and he had looked at outside of colon as well. My mother in law had just had one and she was in terrible state during preperation and said she would rather die than have it again so I cancelled.

BUT I am now convinced that this morning back pain IS bowel pain and I should have the colonsocpy - MT gp says there is not much that hasn't been checked - and it can't be anything serious and she thinks it my back anyway.

I am between devil and deep blue sea as not having the colonsocppy I am worrying constantly I should even though realistically I know that the anything really serious like cancer would have been found when the surgeon opened me up but if I ask my Dr to rearrange it I will worry that the prep which is fleet and can cause severe electrolyte imbalances will be dangerous.

I just can't win.

Re: I don't know what to do?

Have the colonoscopy, I had one the other year without sedation or painkillers. Mine took 20 minutes and it was OK. I suffer badly with diverticulitis and the discomfort wasn't as bad as that. They gave me some Buscapan IV to control the bowel spasms, it was very interesting looking at my bowel on the monitor as well.

Go for it..............

Before I read your post I had decided to have it done just so I can stop worrying as I know what I am like and will just worry and worry until I have the test. I have left a message on the ansafone of the colonoscopy dept as yesterday was my deadline for making the appt explaining my fear and asking if they can still make me an appt - they seem quite flexible and I am sure other people forget to ring them by the date they say so hopeful they can still make me an appt.

Can I ask about your prep was it with fleet or picolax???

I have read that if you drink a carbohydrate electrolyte solution during the prep then you are less likey to get a problem with imbalances so have ordered some that contains potassium off the net. I know the effects of the prep are terrible but think I can cope with that if I am not worrying about being ill with electrolyte imbalance.

Fingers crossed they will still give ma an appt without me having to ring my surgeons sec and starting all again.

I think it was picolax. This was the bit I was dreading as I had three sachets to get through. I drank the first lot but added squash to the next two sachets. I was glad when I had finished the lot.

Thread Information