Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried i have a brain tumour!

Worried i have a brain tumour!

First of hi to all and hope everyone is ok.
    Im basically looking for some support on what to do next as my worries are ruining my life.
    To give you guys a little insight ill start at the beginning(where most things start lol)
    Im a 28y/o guy who is fit and used to love life up until 3 months ago.Stupidly ina moment of madness i took recreational drugs(speed/cocaine) which resulted in me being taken to hospital with chest pains and palpitations.I was kept in overnight and was released once all tests were shown to be ok(i had learned my lesson).The problems started when i was released from hospital about a week later when i couldnt get it out my mind i was having a heart attack.I went all light headed/dizzy/pain in chest and ended up in E/R again where they once again done tests and sent me on my way.
    The hospital staff suggested i see my GP about anxiety who put me on beta-blockers and basically said with the shock of the drug overuse i could have developed anxiety.I got over the heart attack effect although sometimes i still get the odd twinge i am reasured my heart is healthy.
    Now the problems have really started as about 3 weeks again i started to get terrible trembling sensations while lying in my bed at night to which i went to my gp(different one) who has now put me on a light dose of anti-ds which she said are good for anxiety.Once away from the doctors(about 6 days ago) i started to get headaches whcih seem to be getting worse although i can go for few hours in the day without noticing the pain as it is rather mild.I am sick with worry that i have a tumour as headaches is something i have never really suffered with and i also get head pressure and tightness in neck muscles along with light headedness.In the past two days i have started to feel a little detached and i worry all day long(i must add that these headaches dont really cause me to loose sleep.
    I had and eye exam the other day to see if i needed glasses but they were ok and the eye doc said my eyes were healthy enough.
    Now i have an update appointent booked with my gp in 3 weeks but i dont know if i can wait that long as my headaches show no sign of stopping.
    Basically i am looking for some advice on what to do next as i am seriously cracking up.
    How long should i let the headaches go before i get worried,can you get headaches like mine everyday due to anxiety?
    All help is great and hopefully i get this sorted.....I also had blood work done 2 weeks ago and all showed fine in that.
    yours from rainy glasgow
    james

Re: Worried i have a brain tumour!

Hi mate

Sorry you're having such a bad time of it at the mo. Headaches are my latest symptom too, but they are classic signs of stress; they may even be migraines which, too are harmless. The trembling and detached feelings, well they're also classic anxiety symptoms. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry or panic- it'll just make the headaches worse. If need be see your gp to put your mind at rest and then put it to bed (God I wished I heeded my own advice sometimes!!) Anyway take care

Siobhan x

I'm not sure how things in the UK work but we have "Walk in Clinics" in the states where they will see you immediately.

The odds that a brain tumor would present itself right after you had a "Health Crisis/Anxiety" are probably much less then this all having to do with anxiety.

Headaches on their own are usually nothing. But I feel ya. I don't even get headaches and I think i have a brian tumor.

Thanks a lot for replying and its so appreciated.I keep telling myself that im fine but like you will know it is far from being that easy.The thing i try to cling to is that the eye exam was ok but in the back of my mind i know it isnt 100% way of confirming it.The main problem is that the headaches dont seem to be getting much better and are with me most part of the day.
    I also feel ashamed to go to my GP so soon after my last appointment and i know they wont send me for an mri/ct.
    Also is it likely that migrain's would come on even though i cant remember ever suffering from them and could they last so long.
    nce again thanks siobhan

Quote Originally Posted by paisleychap View Post
    Thanks a lot for replying and its so appreciated.I keep telling myself that im fine but like you will know it is far from being that easy.The thing i try to cling to is that the eye exam was ok but in the back of my mind i know it isnt 100% way of confirming it.The main problem is that the headaches dont seem to be getting much better and are with me most part of the day.
    I also feel ashamed to go to my GP so soon after my last appointment and i know they wont send me for an mri/ct.
    Also is it likely that migrain's would come on even though i cant remember ever suffering from them and could they last so long.
    nce again thanks siobhan

Migraines can last a long time I believe. Tension headaches literally can last until you aren't tense IMO. Describe your headaches. I always think of headaches as that "Hungover throbbing pain". My HEAD PAIN which is scaring me is more like tension. Very dull yet annoying with lots of neck stiffness.

On a scale of 1-10 what are your headaches?

Don't worry about the tumour it sounds like stress and worry caused by taking the speed and cocaine.

Try to calm down can you get some relaxation therapy until you see your doctor. Your poor body as had a big shock with those drugs being put into it, no wonder it feels awful. You need to pamper it now and tell it that everything is ok and for it not to worry.

I know this sounds a bit girly but how about some playing some relaxation tapes whilst soaking in the bath (get some essential oils for relaxation).

Calm down and don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by halfnormal View Post
    Migraines can last a long time I believe. Tension headaches literally can last until you aren't tense IMO. Describe your headaches. I always think of headaches as that "Hungover throbbing pain". My HEAD PAIN which is scaring me is more like tension. Very dull yet annoying with lots of neck stiffness.

On a scale of 1-10 what are your headaches?
    I would say they are on a scale 4/5 mate and they feel like a dull throbbing rather than sharp shooting pains.If i exert myself then that can also have an effect but generally i can live with the pain it's the not knowing that is getting to me.

Don't worry about the tumour it sounds like stress and worry caused by taking the speed and cocaine.

Try to calm down can you get some relaxation therapy until you see your doctor. Your poor body as had a big shock with those drugs being put into it, no wonder it feels awful. You need to pamper it now and tell it that everything is ok and for it not to worry.

I know this sounds a bit girly but how about some playing some relaxation tapes whilst soaking in the bath (get some essential oils for relaxation).

Calm down and don't worry.
    As a scot i am already in touch with my feminine side Trixie
    So these relaxation tapes you speak should not be a problem
    What get's me the most is that i was always a outgoing funny lively person but these past few week's i am no fun at all.I cant help feeling that im going mad and loosing grip.
    On less serious note i hear that bath overflowing

People who are really "going mad" don't realize it. If you think you are going crazy you are not crazy. You are just anxious as heck!

I'm no doctor but a headache by itself is not really a sign of a tumor

Quote Originally Posted by halfnormal View Post
    People who are really "going mad" don't realize it. If you think you are going crazy you are not crazy. You are just anxious as heck!

I'm no doctor but a headache by itself is not really a sign of a tumor
    I have also had tingling sensation in head and also some slight eye pain in right eye(although eye doctor checked me out 2 days ago).
    I really dont feel i will be convinced until scan work is carried out...which i dont feel my doctor will send me for.

Quote Originally Posted by paisleychap View Post
    I have also had tingling sensation in head and also some slight eye pain in right eye(although eye doctor checked me out 2 days ago).
    I really dont feel i will be convinced until scan work is carried out...which i dont feel my doctor will send me for.
    In life we can never fully be convinced of anything unfortunately. How do you know you won't be shot or die in a car accident. We have the privelage of using medicine to tell us a bit about our future.

However, I know this is not easy to tell yourself and although I'm typing this I have a hard time putting this into play as well.

Tingling sensation in head is very much related to Anxiety. Eye pain is most likely related to stress.

Remember when we get anxious our system goes into a hyperaware mode.

Our senses stand out and our muscles tense to survive.

All that tension and overworking can do lots to our nervous system and muscular system.

The waiting sucks I know but we have to trust our doctors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information