Thread: Any natural sleep remedies that really work??

Any natural sleep remedies that really work??

Hi -

I've been having problems sleeping lately - been depressed and anxious and was put on citalopram 2 weeks ago - which I don't think is helping me sleep at the moment - also made the mistake of drinking alcohol with it to help me sleep which of course was very unwise as that only made the depression worse...

Anyway been off the booze for 3 days and am on sleeping tablets (zopiclone) to help me sleep - which are working but I can't be on them for long, so I was hoping someone knew of a natural sleep / relaxation supplement that I can take with my meds - I bought some quiet life tablets today but have realised it's not good to take them with citaopram as they contain valerian...

Is there anything else which really works???

Casey x

Re: Any natural sleep remedies that really work?? Passion flower??

Ok - so I've done some reasearch and it would appear that passion flower is something to try and appears to be safe to take with the citalopram - has any one taken this and vouch for it? thx

Re: Any natural sleep remedies that really work??

i used to take natrasleep which are good but that was before i was on citalopram, so i'm not sure if they can be taken together.
    what time do you take your citalopram? when i took mine in the evening i couldn't sleep well, but once i started taking them in the morning i started to sleep well...

Try Horlicks, the chocolate one that you add water too, you will find it by the tea and coffee in the supermarket,honestly put some anti-stress radox in a warm bath then have a cup of that, sounds dead flippant and old fashioned but it knocks me out, its like having something put me to sleep.

Debbie

xxxx

Have a banana an hour before bed
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi - thanks for the responses! I'm actually just drinking some organic cammomile tea at the moment - 2 bags at once and it has really calmed me down - think organic teas are much more potent...definitely agree with hot baths - maybe not during the summer though...hopefully I'll sleep tonight without any sleeping pills xxx

I find listening to relaxing music at a low volume really helps. I put it on continuous play so the click when it finishes doesn't wake me up!

You may want to try a thiamin supplement (Vitamin B-1). I have been using one 100 mg tablet at night the last two evenings in addition to the B complex my doctor has me taking during the day, and I do seem to be sleeping a little longer and getting a better quality of sleep so far. B-1 is inexpensive around here (I picked up a bottle of 100 tablets for $2.99 USD) and I am sure it would be equally inexpensive in the United Kingdom.

Stress, mental fatigue, anxiety and alcohol consumption are all factors that can deplete the relatively small amount of B-1 that the body stores in the heart, liver and brain. While the American RDA for thiamin is currently at 1.2 mg, I recently saw a report where a therapeutic dose of 200 mg was used without side effects.

My vitamin book indicates that, among other ailments, thiamin can be helpful with insomnia, depression, anxiety, and withdrawal symptoms associated with alcohol and tobacco usage. Who knows? It may help.

I have a lavender bag by my bed & rub on avon sleeptherapy balm on my pulse points & temples & I sleep like a baby!

Thread Information