Thread: Anxiety or MS?

Anxiety or MS?

Hi Group:

I have been having neurological symptoms off and on for five years. They are all sensory in nature, such as fasiculations, palpitations, burning skin, pins and needles sensations and sometimes mildy fogging vision. I have had the whole neuro work up with nothing found as of yet. One doctor tells me possible MS and the other says anxiety. I would LOVE to believe anxiety, but my question is this...
    When someone has anxiety disorder can the symptoms I have descirbed above last for weeks and then go away? My symptoms will falir up under stress, last about 3 weeks to 6 weeks and then fade away.
    I have had a lot of stress and trauma in the last five years that have definately produced anxiety, but the fact that the synptoms last so long worries me!
    The doctors agree they want me on anti depressents, but I would just like to know what is wrong with me!

Thanks,
    Tylene

Re: Anxiety or MS?

Hi Tylene,

Yes, anxiety can make you suffer with the symptoms you have described for many weeks, even months or longer. I cannot; however, say for a fact that this is what you have as I am not a physician. The one thing I am not sure of is if you have MS if the symptoms come and go. I would seek out a counselor and go over the stresses and traumatic events in your life over the past five years and if that doesn't help then resort to meds. Or, if things are really bad you could combine the two. I do hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Laura xxx

Re: Anxiety or MS?

Thanks very much for your reply. I have been told by my friends that it can cause long standing symptoms, but none of them suffer from anxiety so I always brush them off. However, this forum is made up of people that have been down the road I am walking, so it is good to hear that these weird things can be a result of anxiety. I am seeing a counselor next week so wish me luck!

Thanks for your help!

Tylene

Thread Information