Thread: Anyone out there who is knowledgeable about the Mirena coil?

Anyone out there who is knowledgeable about the Mirena coil?

I had the mirena fitted last year but after 7 months I decided to have it removed.

It was taken out Jan 08 and I'm still not having regular periods. It took 3 months after it was removed to have a period and now it feels a bit hit and miss. For example this months period was 4 days late and I've noticed they my period is only lasting about 2 days and pretty light. I have been to the doctor and he told me that he wasn't overly concerned but if I still wasnt happy in say 6 months then they could do a blood test to see if I was starting the menopause (I'm only 41)! But to be honest, my periods have only changed since coming off the Mirena. I was always bang on time before having it inserted.

Anyone experienced about the Mirena who would know if this is "normal"

Re: Anyone out there who is knowledgeable about the Mirena coil?

Hi Jenny, yes i had the mirena for about 18 months. I had it fitted to stop the heavy periods i suffered with and it reduced the bleeding brilliantly, and even after it was removed my periods were very light and down to 2 or 3 days as opposed to 7 or 8 days before. Ithink it takes times for the hormones to become balanced again without it, as the mirena releases progesterone only and this is what reduces the bleeding, so now your body is just redressing the balance. I wouldnt worry too much tho its a nuisence not knowing when your period will start. The doc isnt worried coz he knows this happens and its normal.

The menopause a 41? its a possibility but not common. My mum was 51 but her sister was 41. The years leading up to the menopause are called the peri-menopause and this can go on for 10 years or more, with flushes and irregular periods, until eventually they stop altogether, so he might be referring to this. But my guess is that your body is just readjusting the hormones after the mirena.

Hope this helps
    Cathy xxx

Hi Cathy, thanks for that. I thought that only having the Mirena for 7 months wouldn’t have such an impact but perhaps things do need to sort themselves out. It’s just when I’ve read about the Mirena, the sites all say that the body gets back to normal a month after it’s removed – that’s what had thrown me.

I too am very doubtful about the menopause. Certainly have no other symptoms going on

Yes and all the sites i once looked at for info about propranolol and weight gain all said this was not a side effect, the medical ppl that is, yet alot of the ppl actually taking it put on so much weight! me included Hard to wade through the minefield of information isn't it, you just dont know who or what to believe sometimes I guess all we can do is what we're doing, sharing our experiences.

Take care
    Cathy xxx

Hi Jenny

I had the mirena coil fitted for four years after the birth of my third child at the age of 45. It worked brilliantly for the four years the life time of the coil is 5 years. Towards the end of the 4th year I began to bleed heavily which was really unusual. I had a permanent period from august until nov/dec of that year and was given medication to control this. When I went to the hospital for help they took the coil out as they thought that the progesterone levels were becoming erratic as it was nearing the end of its life. It is possible for your one to have discharged more progesterone than it should have and this would cause a delay in your periods starting. Once I had the coil removed my periods went back to normal and have only just started to become less regular at the age of 52.

Progesterone can mess up your cycle. My older daughter was given the injection that you have 3 monthly. She only ever had it once. It took 18months for her periods to start again and she was only 26/27. It is quite unlikely that you have gone straight to menopause so I think the progesterone is definately to blame. I think your gp is right give it a few months and it will right itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sheba2 View Post

Progesterone can mess up your cycle. My older daughter was given the injection that you have 3 monthly. She only ever had it once. It took 18months for her periods to start again and she was only 26/27. It is quite unlikely that you have gone straight to menopause so I think the progesterone is definately to blame. I think your gp is right give it a few months and it will right itself.
    many thanks for that. I didnt realise that progesterone could have such an impact and amazing to hear that your daughter only had one injection and it affected her for so long

I'll relax a little now and let nature take it's course

Thread Information