Thread: A little wine?

A little wine?

Hi all, been a lurker here a while, so heres my first post. I've been on Citalopram for a few weeks, was supposed to take 20mg but was only taking 10mg. My doctor has asked me to take the 20mg a day now, however I enjoy 2/3 small glasses of wine, prob no more than 1.5 normal glasses in the evening with dinner etc?

I'm worried that this will cause me problems, saying that however the 10mg and my little tipple where causing no problems at all. Have any of you experience of Citalopram and small quantities of wine.

Re: A little wine?

Although I don't recommend you try, when I was younger (and sillier!) and taking citalopram, I drank a LOT whilst taking them and didn't experience any ill effects at all.

Stopping taking them however, now that was a different matter...

Hi Ingy. I dont know about citralopram, but i take beta-blockers and my doc says having no more than 2 glasses of red wine a night is fine. I dont do this every night now (i did at one time and more than was good for me i have to say) and it hasnt had any adverse effects up to now. It doesnt seem to affect how the meds work or anything so im sure you'll be fine.

Take care
    Cathy xxx

I'm sorry Ingy but I think the answer is probably no Alcohol while taking Citalopram as it interferes with the effect of citalopram,alcohol is a depressant so could cancel out any benefit of taking an antidepressant and the combination of an SSRI and alcohol could possibly increase the chance or severity of side effects such as drowsiness, slow reflexes, or clouded judgment.
    Also it's not advisable to treat yourself for coughs, colds, or allergies without asking your doctor or pharmacy for advice. Some ingredients can increase possible side effects.
    ( information given to me by a pharmacist )
    Decca
    Last edited by decca; 08-07-08 at 09:29. Reason: footnote added as requested

Sorry, didnt realise that anti-depressents and alcohol dont mix. My past experience is only of benzos, and of course more recently with beta-blockers. I know that too much alcohol with any drugs is not recommended, but know that a small amount is tolerable on benzos and betablockers. Sorry if i gave the wrong information.

Cathy xxx

thank you for your replies. i did ask the doctor he said an odd glass did no harm but needed to hear from someone esle because the leaflet said AVOID and i am going on holiday next week and would like to enjoy the odd glass of wine. i was fine when i was only 10mg but feel terrible now since it was upped to 20mg.

Thread Information