Thread: Confusion.

Confusion.

I generaly find it hard to talk about this to people, especialy my closest friends. And when asked, my mind draws a blank.. But i hpe you all might understand me.

Well i've been having what I believe to be panic attacks for the last few years now. The problems only happen generaly when im in groups of people or face to face situations such as job interviews or interactons on the street.

It started when i was at a friends house a few years ago, i was talking to his mum about something and then just passed out infront of her. Beforehand I knew i was feeling uneasy about being held in conversation with her, (started to feel hot, legs felt disatached and couldnt control my breathing) and being the person i am couldnt tell her that i needed to walk away.

Since then i have been unable to stand in cues for anything over a minute or 2 before these feelings start, and sometimes its an instant thing or sometimes it starts before im even in a particular situation that i know is about to happen.

I cant go into situations where i know there is going to be a large amount of people in an enclosed space such as a super market or restaurants or cinemas. And if im feeling uneasy or know something is going to happen, i cannot tell anyone about it as it just accelerates the effect which 9 times out of 10 is me passing out.

I hope someone can make sence of this as im still confused by the whole thing. I've been told to speak to a doctor about it but when prompted i find it the hardest thing to talk about in the world. Almost like its not there or im making it up in my head. Am I?
    Last edited by The1nonlyJ; 28-07-08 at 13:08.

Re: Confusion.

Hi There

Is there anyone who knows how you are feeling? Partner,mum, close friend? could they come to the doctors with you? I know how you are feeling and I alos panic in a queue - along with a million other places. I find that when I go to the doctors it helps to take a note of what I want to say or a list - you are not making it up, you are anxious xx

I went through this after I lost my job. I went on a few job interviews, and when asked a question, or asked to sit a technical test, my mind just went completely blank. I KNEW the answers, have been doing the job for over 20 years, but when asked "how to do XYZ?" I just went totally blank.
    This happened a few times. It is so disheartening. My thougts are with you.

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

I know exactly how you feel. My anxiety started and continues waiting in queues at the supermarket and escualted from there. It took me months before I could tell my wife about it as I couldn't understand it and even longer to tell my family- actually my wife did that. I tried to talk about it over the phone to the doctor and couldn't even do that. Eventually he came to my home as I was agrophobic by this time and it was really hard to get it out. My jaw was quivering and I felt like I was going to explode emotionally but after a few minutes of talking the waves of anxiety did subside. Even now when I have my social anxiety I find if I can get through the first 10-20 minutes it's easier thereafter.

hi hun

i can relate toatlly to ur fears about queues and too many ppl, esp the interactions.

difficult as it is, u do need to discuss this with ur gp in order for u to gain help sooner rather than later.

milly xx

Thanks for the replys guys.

Its so nice to hear from people that understand how it feels, and arnt tryin to tell me that its all in my head and iv'e got nothing to worry about etc etc.
    The biggest problem i have is telling people how i feel, and the replys I have received from you all have realy helped me understand it a bit more.

Ive got to go to the doctors to get my ear syringed and im gonna try and speak to him about it then.
    The ear problem really doesnt help matters either, not being able to hear temporarily on one side is quite dissorientating as it is and realy doesnt make things any easier when around groups of people. This applies especialy at work when everyone is talking around me and theres just constant noise in a small space.

Thread Information