Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That which does not kill me...

Re: That which does not kill me...

i think to feel stronger you have to first come out the other side. while in the middle of fighting anything you're going to be weaker...whether it's anxiety, depression, or physical illness.

but can you imagine beating THIS? i mean, how much further on top of the world could you get when that time comes? it's what i strive for. and i know that when i get there i certainly will feel stronger for what i've gone through.

but for now, yeah...i'm beat. down but not out.

i meant to say i agree with katie. sorry for not mentioning that!!

Stronger? Weaker? I'm not sure because it's subjective. One persons weakness could be considered another persons strength and vice-versa. What do you consider being strong?

Anxiety is Worry. Worry is created by Fear which has surfaced due to a build of pressures in our lives or a period of emotional stress.

We can either allow our fears to control us or learn how to control our fears but often I think it's somewhere inbetween because we learn how to adapt after our anxiety has become too much to cope with so that we can live a happier life acceptable to ourselves.

Anxiety makes us "feel" weak but we're actually more capable than we realise. We just can't see what we achieve because we look at everything in a negative way so focus on what we consider are our failings.

I wouldn't call anyone on here weak because to survive takes strength. I guess you'd say a strong person wouldn't suffer from anxiety but then does that mean to worry is a weakness? If no one worried about anything or anyone, would this world be a better or worse place to live?

We feel weak because our fear prevents us from what we want to achieve and when our fears then affect others, we then feel guilty which re-inforces our feelings of being weak but then if someone is disabled and in a wheelchair, would they too be considered weak? Of course not so then why should someone who has reached their stress limit be considered weak? Others haven't experienced our pressures or have our sensitive nature. To call an anxiety sufferer weak would be to say being sensitive isn't normal but what would the world be like without sensitive people who care about others because of their sensitivity?

I still firmly believe that if everyone in this world were anxiety sufferers, this world would be a better place to live because we'd all be caring about each other so how could people like that be considered weak?

We all just want to do What we want to do without being prevented by our fears but everyone in this world has a fear of something so we are all equals so I don't think it's a case of being weak and becoming strong. It's a case of learning to live the life we feel happy with without changing what makes us who we are.

It is som easy to feel weak tho when your partner is in bed asleep and yet you are awake at 4 30 am after having a panic attack when you haven't had one in months
    Are relapses normal in the anxiety disorder world? I hope so as I am really frightened right now

PLease someone reply if you are online

You are Not weak and yes, it's perfectly normal when you're suffering anxious thoughts.

Think about what's going on in your life at present compared to the previous months. Has anything changed? Is there something that's been worrying you recently? I'm sure a worry or a build up of pressures will have triggered this so please try not to be afraid as it'll pass. Try not to focus on how you're feeling.

Thank so much for your kind words

I have no particular reason to feel worrried I just woke up with my head feeling strange and dizzy and it was a good few minutes before I realised it was a panic attack

Do you suffer from insomnia and can you aplease advise me on any sites you know apart from this one where people might be chatting? I think I just need to online chat until I can sleep

xx

When I say weak, I mean frailer, more fragile, less robust. I'm not using the word in a derogatory sense, just a factual one. I don't mean to offend anyone or suggest that in any way anxiety sufferers are inferior people.... I think the reverse is true. Most 'normals' would reel at the prospect of living with the sort of suffering that many of us have to endure day after day, seemingly endlessly. That does take 'strength', I agree.
    My point was simply that, overall, I feel depleted by my experiences. I feel that I will never really be carefree again. I feel as though, once having felt like this, it will haunt me, in some way, for the rest of my life. I do not simply bounce back, toughened and ready for the next bout, in the way the saying suggests. That's all I meant, really.

Never ever ever ever ever give up!

That's all it is. You choose success by taking each step forward everyday. I want to just say that I don't even know you, but from your post I feel a certain sense of gratitude, knowing that people like you are out there trying to fight this thing with all your heart - just like the rest of us are.

You give others encouragement with your own daily struggle and by that you are helping everyone in this forum.

Feel good about yourself. You're a good person. You will overcome this anxiety. And we'll be here for you until it happens.

Thank you very much, woofytalk, that's a lovely thing to say.

I have moments where i think that i am strong for coping with this for such a long time, but then on the other hand, IF i were strong, surely i would have beaten this disorder by now.

I mostly believe in the latter.

Personally, i've become more angry. I am angry a lot of the time. I let little insignificant things wind me up when i should be more chilled. I believe i have turned into an extremely unlikeable person. WHO in their right mind would want to be associated with a fricking agoraphobic loser - none of the friends i had, thats for sure. Its the years of pent up frustration i've from being this way and the only person i have to blame is myself, but how can i take it out on me? I can cut myself as a release, but that doesn't solve any problems either. After i am bleeding/scarred, i am still bloody angry. I shout, alot. I seem to be unable to get my point across without gobbing off. I feel no one listens to me. I feel within my family, ALL problems come down to me being "this way" and i know it does effect EVERYONE...and there you have it, i feel guilty and more angry.

I wish i could learn from this experience and grow as a better and stronger person, but its really hard.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information