Thread: support please!

support please!

ok im not sure how to word what i want to say but will try. . .
    have just got back from my counselling session and today i was able to tell him about my ocd (rituals/checking etc.).
    i have made loads of progress with different things and some things i have failed on but he says its not failing we do not fail but the task was to difficult for you at this time, now i thought that was a really good way of putting it .this ocd is one thing i really want out of my life.
    he has asked me to try not doing just one thing from the list at a time. . . i wont bore you all with the list but i have many things i want to change.
    obviously he spoke to me about what i fear and what i worry about etc not just "stop it" but i thought if i posted then you lot could nag me and give me some support in this as i knew you would understand.
    he is away for two weeks and he would like one things over come by then but i want to do more if possible.
    im not really sure which one or two to start with though.
    i also wondered if anyone else was in this position and fancied trying this with me for mutual support.
    rach
    x

Hi Rach

I have OCD also, although some of my obsessions are not very common but I do know how hard it is to overcome and to stop the compulsions.

You mentioned a list and I was wondering whether you have actually written a list of the behaviours you would like to change? If so perhaps you could go through it and number each one in order of the first to last one to tackle.

Also perhaps it might help for support if each time you notice the obsessive thought and feel the compulsion to check or do whatever ritual if you came on here and posted. What do you think?

I'm sure there are lots of us here willing to support you

Karen xx

Re: support please!

If you think some rituals maybe easier to confront than others, confront the easier ones first because the harder ones will then become easier to face as your confidence builds.

I've been where you are so I understand how you must be feeling. I used to have Lots of OCD rituals but I don't do them anymore so it IS possible to overcome them.

I would like to support you if I can so please feel free to pm me if you would like to and I'll do my best to help you.

thank you. . .
    i didnt reply straight away as i needed to re check this is what i can cope with but its what i want to be free from all this so here goes.
    i have written a list and im sure there are many more but i cannot decided which one would be easiest to tackle so im just gonna go for it.
    first up is the cleaning, i hoover twice maybe three times a day ok so not terrable but i HAVE to do it, so am going to do it just once in the evening also i have a thing about curtains putting them straight etc.
    im not sure today was the best day to start as youngest wants to go to the cinema and then we have a hospital appointment to have stitches out so anxiety is high at the moment,
    i am embarrased writng things like this but i have learnt that how can i get help and support if im not honest...
    ok so here we go day 1. . .
    and if i can manage this would like to add more from my list.
    thanks so much for listening .
    rach
    x

Rach am here for you always hun.Will help in anyway i can,will nag you senseless if need be.I also have some behaviours i need to sort out,just one in particular so maybe we can help each other hun .
    Ali xxx

thanks ali x

Well done for attempting this Rach and you sound very determined and positive which is good - you go girl

How have the first couple of days been with the hoovering and leaving the curtains unstraightened? I've been thinking of you hun

I hope all is going well and remember we are here if you need us

Karen xx

karen thank you. . .
    things are about 50/50 if you know what i mean . . .
    and i am realising just how many strange ways i have but i must be patient and do just one or two at a time i think .
    it is going ok. . . only i got up this morning and hovered but for no other reason than its usually routine so will try to leave it this eve.
    rach
    x

Thread Information