Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: prescribed beta blockers? panicing about taking them

Question prescribed beta blockers? panicing about taking them

iv just been givin beta blockers propranolol 80mg, from my g.p, as i suffer panic and anxiety episodes, im also currently taking 20mg citolaphram, and wud like to here if anyone takes the same? iv never taken a bete blocker yet, had them for 4 days, really need something to help me through this but just so scared incase it affects my breathing, as iv read i can!! im not ashmatic or have any other breathing problems, although i do smoke, i would love to hear from anyone who has felt this way, and anyone who takes or has done to help them in the past, please xx

Re: prescribed beta blockers? panicing about taking them

I've also been prescribed beta blockers and I'm afraid to take them because I suffer from breathlessness and closing throat sensations. I feel that the GP's don't take this condition seriously and we're fobbed of with any old sub-standard treatment.

did your g.p describe them to u? mine did and they sounded great, just what i needed, but as soon as i came home waited for my next attack and just couldn't take one!! now when im thinking of taking one im panicing more!!

ive never taken beta blockers, but i was prescribed muscle relaxers for my tension headaches and refused to take those because of the side effects. they can cause heart problems and im already so fixated on my heart it just wasnt going to happen.

i would suggest taking them when you have someone else around, that way if you have a side effect or soemthing happens youre not alone. that makes me feel better about trying new meds. I generally spend a night or two at my parents house whenever mine get switched (which is happening alot lately).

also, most major side effects are very very rare.

so my advice is to weigh the pros and cons of the meds and see which makes the most sense for you. also speak with your doctor about your concerns, that can help alot as well.

Hi, i was given propranolol 80mg slow release last summer for high BP and migraines. My anxiety at that time was very low but i had just moved to germany so the doctor put it down to the stress of living in a new country. These betablockers did bring my bp down well but unfortunately they didnt agree with me in alot of other ways.

Side effects for everyone are sometimes the same and sometimes different. For me they included breathlessness on walking upstairs, weight gain, and a feeling of weakness. They slow the system down and heartrate becomes slower so when i tried to come off them after 9 months my anx was sky high. So in effect they acted like a tranquilizer. Im now on another betablocker called bisoprolol. My doc told me to take only half a tablet for the first few days then increase to full one, but ive only stuck to the half so far as im scared of having all those symptoms back again. The weigh increase remains a problem though much to my despair. Ive gained 2st in 12 months, and cant seem to reverse it no matter what.

It makes me very angry that the medical profession have put me in this situation with medication. There are other more modern meds used for high BP which they could have given me, plus something seperate for the headaches, which i dont have constantly, but to give me what is in effect a tranquilizer, not knowing that if i did try to give them up would be a nightmare.

This is my own experience but for every person who has had a bad experience with betablockers, there are as many who will tell you how wonderful they are...watch this space..

Best wishes
    Cathy xxx

Hi
    I take bata blocker at the moment they are realy gd for wen you have a panic attack it helps to slow your hart down.the only sideafect i have had is being very tired all the time my breathing been ok

Hi

Im a smoker and Ive used propranalol without any negative side effects. I would take it on an as required basis and boy did it do the trick in reducing the racing heart. You can but try it and see how it works for you. Best of luck with getting the right medication

Pooh xx
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

I was prescribed these instead of diazapam by my GP. I took one and had a terrible attack of gasping for breath. They narrow your airways and part of my panic attacks are shortness of breath so this was the last thing I needed. I don't want to scare you but I will never, ever take them again. I am now on diazapam along with Citalopram.

love
    Sunny

sunnydays just to help you dont keep taken diaspam they only work 4 abit they not gd there attictive even tho i toke them only if i hyervletalated.bta blocker are better to take

I'm on low dose Diazepam and have been for 6 months now.
    I have an unusal type of Angina and can't take Beta blockers so my heart Docs have put me on Calcium chanel blockers,Ace inhibitors and long term low dose Diazepam ,to help control my Blood pressure and heart rate . I am only allowed 2 mg of Diazepam per day in half of a mg doses to be taken alonside my other heart meds.
    I've been told that Valium ( Diazepam) is not as addictive as some of the higher dose Benzo's such as Alazopram,Clonazapam etc.
    Your Doctor is the best person to advise you.
    Decca.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information