Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worrying about withdrawal if anyone can help please?

worrying about Lorazepam withdrawal if anyone can help please?

Hi

I'm taking 60mg Citalopram and 1mg 3 times a day Lorazepam. I've been really good for the last couple of months and feeling really positive about withdrawing from the Lorazepam. But now my docs appointment is on Weds I'm getting really anxious about it. I soooooooo want to stop taking them but am sooooo scared too.

I know he'll probably do it with the help of Diazepam and wondered if anyone else had been through the process that could put my mind at rest please

I don't want to go back to a bad place again
    Last edited by caz303; 12-08-08 at 12:21.

Re: worrying about withdrawal if anyone can help please?

hiya i cant help with your meds but i wanted to send a hug xxx

Hi,

I also have never been on this med but wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

Take care,

Laura

Hi,
    Diazepam has a longer half life than Lorazepam and therefore remains in your body a lot longer which makes it easier on your body during withdrawal.
    So your Dr.will probably first cross you over to Diazepam at an equivalent dose to the Lorazapam you are taking now so that you are still getting the same amount of the drug before he/she starts to taper your dosage down.I think 3 mg Lorazepam is equivalent to 30mg Diazepam.
    When you are settled on the Diazepam your Doc. will probably agree a taper program with you, this is usually done by cuts of 10% of the previous dose every two weeks or so until you are down to about 2mg then he/she will probably prescribe you liquid Diazepam to complete the withdrawal, it's easier to use liquid than try to cut a 2mg tablet into small bits.
    There's some info here that might be helpful to you,
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Remember you are in control of this and don't let your Dr. rush you, take as long as you are comfortable with.

Hope this helps
    Decca.
    Last edited by decca; 11-08-08 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by decca View Post
    Hi,
    Diazepam has a longer half life than Lorazepam and therefore remains in your body a lot longer which makes it easier on your body during withdrawal.
    So your Dr.will probably first cross you over to Diazepam at an equivalent dose to the Lorazapam you are taking now so that you are still getting the same amount of the drug before he/she starts to taper your dosage down.I think 3 mg Lorazepam is equivalent to 30mg Diazepam.
    When you are settled on the Diazepam your Doc. will probably agree a taper program with you, this is usually done by cuts of 10% of the previous dose every two weeks or so until you are down to about 2mg then he/she will probably prescribe you liquid Diazepam to complete the withdrawal, it's easier to use liquid than try to cut a 2mg tablet into small bits.
    There's some info here that might be helpful to you,
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Remember you are in control of this and don't let your Dr. rush you, take as long as you are comfortable with.

Hope this helps
    Decca.
    Thanks everyone for your comments and thank you Decca for your post. I've printed out one of the withdrawal lists from Benzo.org.

Have you been down this route yourself Decca? I'm always wondering just how long my doc will let me stay on Lorazepam if I don't feel ready to start withdrawing yet .. which I don't I've been on them for 4.1/2 months.

Been awake since 2am this morning worrying and I've been sleeping so well for the last couple of months and felt perfectly calm .. and today I'm a wreck .. pooooo!!!!

Hi Caz,
    Glad you found it helpful, I haven't personaly been involved with Benzo withdrawal (yet !) but before I retired I worked as a benefits adviser and councilor and knew lots of people that were going through it, I got involved with the group because I went through Barbiturate withdrawal about 18 years ago . I'm currently on 2 to 3 mg Diazepam per day.
    I would have thought your Doc. would keep you as you are if it's still working for you but Dr's vary a lot in their opinions about Benzo's some are OK with them others won't prescribe them at all.

Best wishes
    Decca.

Hi Caz,
    Glad you found it helpful, I haven't personaly been involved with Benzo withdrawal (yet !) but before I retired I worked as a benefits adviser and councilor and knew lots of people that were going through it, I got involved with the group because I went through Barbiturate withdrawal about 18 years ago . I'm currently on 2 to 3 mg Diazepam per day.
    I would have thought your Doc. would keep you as you are if it's still working for you but Dr's vary a lot in their opinions about Benzo's some are OK with them others won't prescribe them at all.

Best wishes
    Decca.
    I think he will if I tell him Decca, which I will. I hope I'll know when I'm strong enough to tackle it I've just been feeling so good these last few weeks that I'm afraid to upset the boat and cross with myself for letting myself get anxious and not sleeping over something so trivial really I feel like I've taken a step backwards but I'm sure after I get tomorrow out of the way things will spring back to normal *crosses fingers*.

Thanks
    x

Dont worry about being anxious over your appointment it's a perfectly normal response to the unknown especially when your feeling good you don't want anything to rock the boat, I'm the same when I see my Doctors.
    Stay cool and let us know how you got on.

Decca.

Dont worry about being anxious over your appointment it's a perfectly normal response to the unknown especially when your feeling good you don't want anything to rock the boat, I'm the same when I see my Doctors.
    Stay cool and let us know how you got on.

Decca.
    Thanks so much .. I will

Went to docs today who was very pleased with me. I told him about my fears about withdrawing from the Lorazepam and he said that he's not in a major hurry to do so but we must start thinking about it. He's now away for 6 weeks holiday (knew I should have been a doctor LOL) and would be pleased if I could reduce one of my tablets by 1/2 when I go back next. So I'll see how I get on once I'm back on an even keel again

Thanks for your help everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information