Thread: Finding it hard to believe anyone!!

Finding it hard to believe anyone!!

Hi everyone
    Sorry but I find myself getting worse . Earlier this year I went and saw an ENT consultant privately and had a camera put up my nose and down my throat, he then looked down my throat again under general anaesthetic. He said my throat was inflammed and there was a small sore patch which he took a biopsy of. The biopsy came back clear and I was told to see my GP to get some tablets for acid reflux. Over the following weeks I managed to convince myself I had Barretts Esophagus (my GP put this idea in my head!!). To cut a long story short I have spent the last few months worrying myself sick over this. I posted my concerns on here last week and someone suggested I went back to my consultant to voice my fears. I had an appointment last night and he was very convincing. He explained that the sore patch was nothing to worry about but if I got any other symptoms or things changed then I was to go back!! He then put the little camera up my nose again to look down my throat. At the end of the consultation he asked if I would like him to look at my throat on an annual basis. I hate having tests done but I have agreed to this. I'm now worried that he saw something with the camera and hasn't told me . My husband was with me and said he is only checking again next year because he knows I'm anxious and also for the revenue!! I keep bombarding my poor husband with questions because I don't believe/remember what the consultant said. I was so releived when I first got home but then the doubts started creeping in my head. I'm now worrying that the consultant is keeping something from me. Please could someone help convince me that I'm letting me health anxiety run away with me. I don't think I can stand this worry anymore

Re: Finding it hard to believe anyone!!

I don't think the consultant would have asked you to come back for annual checks if he suspected anything sinister,rather every 4 or 6 months,a year is a long time and anything could happen and he wouldn't want to be in the frame for neglect or not doing his job so don't worry,I agree with your husband he is just trying to alay your fears,he sounds nice and caring.
    Don't worry and rejoice in the fact that all is well,it's great news so relax.

Not a chance that he's found something and isn't telling you! It's not worth his while..... you could sue him through the nose if that was the case. If you suffer from bad Acid Reflux he is quite right to offer to see you annually as it can cause damage if it's severe and not looked after. .. With regards to Barratt's Oesophagus.... he would have told you if you had it - as it requires keeping an eye on. Your GP mentioned it, I should think, as it's something they look for with Acid Reflux... Did you have a Barium Swallow or anything?

Anyway, there is no way you have something sinister and he's not telling you. The fact that he 'offered' to keep an eye on you definitely sounds as though he's doing it to reassure you - if he was doing it for himself, he would insist or highly recommend seeing you annually, if not more frequently.

Also, your biopsy came back all clear which would definitely indicate that you were ok! If you had throat cancer or something scary like that - you would know.... no question.

Hope that helps.

Isn't it strange what Health Anxiety does to us?

The GP has offered a regular and planned check in an attempt to reassure you and put your mind at rest but we percieve this as a sign that something is really wrong and being held back from us.
    I was brought here to pay homage
    To the beat surrender

Thank you for your replies everyone. I seem to have been on here a few times lately, I guess that's becuase my HA is bad at the moment.
    I am trying to take on board all the advice given and am now considering having some counselling to see if that will help.

Thanks again, it means so much when you guys take the trouble to reply.

Take Care x

Thread Information