Thread: help with flying

help with flying

Hello everyone,

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 6 years now. Next month I hope to fly to Japan. Its my first time flying, but I' am worried that I will have a panic attack on the plane (12 hour flight)

My GP gave me 2mg of Diazepam, will they work for me?

Also I am worried that when I get to Japan, I will have a terrible time. I dont want to keep dosing up on Diazepam while im there. I have anxiety about going out alone, but I must do this trip.

Will the Diazepam calm me down enough to stop a panic attack? I only have 10 2mg tablets. Any help would be nice

thank you

Re: help with flying

Hi Conor,

I have taken diazepam 5 mil tablets 3 times a day for a 10 day stretch and didn`t get hooked, but deffinitely could have if I stayed on them any longer than that.

They take about 20 - 30 minutes to kick in and for me lasted about 7 - 8 hours a tablet. It did stop my panic attacks but I was in no position to be wandering around Tokyo, I'll be honest. It makes you dozy and says not to drive or use machinery of any kind on them and I know why... you turn into a zombie.

If the flight is 12 hours I think you should take a 2mg as soon as you get on the plane, maybe 20 minutes before you board even. Make sure you have your prescription or some proof it's not illegal drugs. Then take one after about 6 hours. My doc said every 8 hours but yours are weaker than mine so I think 6 will be OK. Might be worth asking your doc just to make sure or phone NHS direct, they're good.

The worst thing you can do is rely on diazepam, because you'll get addicted. Just use them when you think you'll start panicking. Careful not to overdose on them too.

If you start to feel panicky on the plane just tell one of the flight attendants and they'll get you some water or maybe hold your hand even until you feel a bit better. Might do...

Make sure you eat properly and try to sleep on the plane.

How important is the flight? Can you postpone it?

Panic attacks aren't anything to be ashamed of, loads of people get them.

Ask any questions and I'll try to help ya.

Thread Information